new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisuke47

Reaction score
Hi im new to this site and have an old boat im going to fix up its a 1988 fisher jon boat 14 foot long and 53 inches at the beam it looks a little worse for wear but i only paid 35 bucks for it i plan on putting in a front and back deck with pedestal chairs as you can see the front seat is shot so i want to take it out and use the holes for mounting braces for the front deck i can I use stainless steel bolts with some 5200 sealant? im told you can but the stainless steel might corrode the hull any help on this would be great.

https://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa398/kisuke471/boat/

Welcome! And congrats on a nice little project.

SS bolts with 5200 will be fine. I use it all the time. Pretty much anything and everything will react with aluminum in some form or another, but SS shouldn't give you any trouble. Besides, other than aluminum rivets, what are the alternatives really?

Good luck and keep us posted.

+1. While it is true that you generally want to avoid contact between dissimilar metals to reduce galvanic reactions, aluminum and SS are relatively non-reactive with one another and will not cause any corrosion issues. Also, be sure you're NOT using pressure treated lumber anywhere on the boat as the metal preservatives within it WILL have a galvanic reaction with you hull and cause electrolytic pitting. Instead, use high quality, non-PT, exterior grade plywood and seal it. You can use 2-part epoxy, polyester resin & fiberglass, or coat it with several coats of Spar Urethane. The urethane won't "waterproof" it like the other methods, but the materials are much more readily available, less expensive, and will still last many, many years if done correctly (probably your best bet considering the boat was only $35. No sense spending $150 to seal the wood with epoxy or f'glass) Congrats on the score! Can't beat $35 for a boat. Cheap enough not to break the bank, but none of the bad mojo that can come with a "free" boat. All of which are of course cursed to the keel :) (kind of like getting a "free" lunch)

Im thinking of taking out the rear bench seat as well and installing a pedestal chair to a plywood floor im going to put in do you think I will need to screw the plywood to the ribs?

Latest posts