Thoughts on these boats for a Bass Boat project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper02

Reaction score
Well been lurking around here for the past week reading and finally getting to that stage i might actually buy something and start this project and needed some input. I would love to buy a new boat or even a very nice used one, but that just isnt in the finances right now and may not be for the next few years. I was happy fishing out of my two man boat, but its getting more and more cracks inside the boat and i feel its on its last legs, its almost 20 years old barn kept.

So now i am tossing the idea around to convert one of these into my fishing vessel for the next few years. Nothing to extensive, but I would want to make a platform on the front to fish off of and put a foot controlled trolling motor. I just fish small lakes for now and when i come across a good deal on a small outboard engine I may pick it up.

Boat 1 $400
14ft. Alum semi v boat with trailer. Has trolling motor. Needs a battery.
https://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/2934634527.html

Boat 2 $600
14 ft. aulom. v botom boat. 9 horse johnson motor and tra.
https://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/2857669473.html

Dont care about the trolling motor i'll snag a nice one later. Boat 2 comes with a an engine that supposedly worked last year. So might be taking a gamble with it. Need a trailer so both boats come through with that.

I was looking originally at a flat bottom jon boat like an alumacraft or tracker. But started reading the V-bottom might be more stable and cut waves better.

Could i achieve what I am trying to do with either of these two boats?

The second boat is the better choice by far.

Both boats are shallow V hulls and are very similar. The second boat has a much nicer trailer (with a spare tire), AND comes with a gas motor. Running or not, its worth the extra two hundred bucks.

Don't forget to haggle on price :lol:

And don't forget to find out the laws in your state about registering boats/trailers ... and make sure the guy has the proper paperwork. I live in PA and its impossible to register a boat/trailer unless you get the proper paperwork. Lots of guys will hand you a stack of stuff and say, "Yup, its all here" when its not. Know the rules and be sure to look over everything carefully.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I know i dont have to register the trailer here in OK.

Oh yeah i will defintly haggle :lol:

I just found this one to add to my thinking list. Trying to find out if its the V or just a flat though. I think its a flat.

2009 14ft Alumacraft boat asking 700.00 for boat/trailer or 500.00 for boat only!!!
https://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/2873467379.html

Just got his text yea its Flat bottom.

I know I dont plan on being on huge bodies of water, but if i am on a bigger lake and the wind picks up i want to be able to get back safely.

The 1st two, both look like semi-vs, but there is not a good view of the transom. Semi-vs are mostly flat on the rear half of the hull. They will pound almost as much as a jon in the chop. If you don't have a big enough motor to plane the boat, than chop pound won't be an issue. High bow decks on semi-vs can be unstable. A 48" wide jon would be more stable. You mention small lakes, but what kind of waves do you have to deal with?

Hardley any honestly i was just thinking just incase. Small lake to me would be 1000 acres or less. So yeah were not talking big giant waves here. If the wind picks up and i gotta get back across the lake i want to make it! haha I would like to fish bigger lakes mabye 3-5k acre lakes if it is safe.

I want a more stable front cause i will be wanting to make a casting deck for sure.

Personally i like the Alumnacraft jon boat styles. Like the one i just found. Plus It's newer, simple shape seems easier to work with on making cuts for plywood.

Would boat 3 be a good buy espeically if i could get them down a $100 dollars :lol:

Maybe i should jump on that Alumacraft this is pretty much what I am wanting and did not look overly difficult.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18990&start=15

Sounds like you are a candidate for a mod-v jon boat. The 1436 Alumacraft you linked is a pure flat front jon boat. Its a decent little boat, and that's not a bad price.

Just to give you something more to think about, look up a mod-v 1448 jon .... almost all the manufactures make them. It will give you 33% more room than the 1436 and will be a lot more stable. Plus, the slight V on the front will help a bit in choppy water. It really is the best of both worlds. I've fished out of both a 1436 and a 1448 ... the 1448 was night and day better in my opinion.

If you are patient with Craigslist, you should be able to find a nice 1448 with a good trailer for not much more, if any, than the ones you linked.

Yea the 1448 mod v would be very nice. Just afraid it would be to much more. Brand new on basspro its 2k easy thats just boat only. Just saying i dont know how much of a loss would someone be willing to take for one on craigslist.

I hear you. But remember, if maintained well, a 30 year old jon boat is just as good as a brand new one .... and a LOT cheaper.

Trapper02 said:
Yea the 1448 mod v would be very nice. Just afraid it would be to much more. Brand new on basspro its 2k easy thats just boat only. Just saying i dont know how much of a loss would someone be willing to take for one on craigslist.

If I couldn't get the boat and trailer for under a $1k it will never fly with the wifey. Plus She knows i will be having to put some money into it to get it modded with supplies. SO gotta keep costs down.

As long as i can put a casting deck on the 1436 and feel safe that would be plenty for me. Plus this will be huge compared to my two man boat which was an old Bass Tracker Bantam that was only about 8'6" in length.

Trapper02 said:
As long as i can put a casting deck on the 1436 and feel safe that would be plenty for me. Plus this will be huge compared to my two man boat which was an old Bass Tracker Bantam that was only about 8'6" in length.

I agree with MrSimon, 48 wide for stability. A 36" is probably going to be tippy. If your budget forces you down that path, test it by standing and walking back and forth, on the front bench. If a stability issue, forces you to be sitting in a chair, I'd rather stand and fish from an open floor.

Trolling motors are a dime a dozen on CL, so that's almost no added value to the first option. I believe the second boat is an Alumacraft, maybe an FD? Certainly the better choice of the two is the Alumacraft.

Trapper02 said:
What do you think you could get a boat that 48" wide at a reasonable price for?

Every area is different. I spent almost a year looking. I bought a 1995 DMI mod v jon 1648, with a 1998 Merc 25hp 2 stroke elec and manual start (boat and motor in very good condition), and older, but functional trailer for $1700. It also included a MK transom 36lb trolling motor (no battery), a rubber, long handled net, two BPS rods and Abu 5500 reels, anchors and rod holders. A decent deal for my area.

For only a 1448 and trailer, I wouldn't pay over $1000. If you got a 1448, you know it will handle the deck. It will fish fine without it, and can be done down the road. ;)

PS: I own a 14' semi v, (probably closer to your 1st link) that I considered putting a deck on. Standing on that front bench seat cured that idea. ;)

$1k might be a tough swing.

It was alot easier getting her to agree to $700 with the hopes of maybe haggle down to $600.

I feel i will be staying at the 1436 unless some madman wanting to get rid of his no motored 1448

So ready to just dive in and get started, but the more i think about it i guess i can afford to wait a little bit.

It seems its pretty easy to find a 14' jon boat with 36" wide floor.

I am just going to see if a 42" or a 48" pops up anytime soon and go from there.

Well after a night of scouring Craig's List, ebay and other boat for sale places. I have come to the conclusion its dang tough to find a boat thats wider than 36" and if I do it may be more than what I want to pay.

I may have to rethink my build or hope to get lucky and find a 42"+ bottom. No wonder the 36" are so cheap, they are every where, especially the V and semi V bottom boats.

Well i guess that takes care of this boat.

The Alumacraft. its a 1432. I was willing to work with a 36" base, but I am not going down to a 32" Looks like the search continues. That or no casting deck for me. A shame to cause being a 2009 the boat was practicly brand new with a decent trailer. A brand new tracker 1436 is only $650 no trailer of course.

If anyone knows any deals in or around Oklahoma pass them along. Thank you!

Found something interesting in Springdale AR Its a "safeRacer" what a dorky name. hehe

https://fayar.craigslist.org/boa/2938345596.html

What you guys think about this one? Ever heard of a "SafeRacer?" i did a quick google and didnt come up with much.

14' Long 46" wide. Trailer, engine, might even get them to haggle down a little and get it under $1k

Latest posts