Anybody ever use hurculiner?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrekfishman

Reaction score
I cant seem to find gluvit around here anywhere and I'd like to get the bottom sealed in the next few days. Does iw work well? How thick is it?...don't want it to clog the drain channels. Is there a spray can version? I was told by a guy at Menards that it should work well but i just wanted to ask you guys your oponions before i bought it.

If it makes any difference the boat i'm redoing is a 15 foot starcraft runabout (i think) with the bow cut out and has no leaks.

I was going to use it for the bottom of the boat(inside).This is my first mod so I was thinking of other options than gluvit. Are there any other options?

Whatever you do, do not use the Duplicolor aerosol liner.

I used it on a dash bezel which turned out great. Then I went to use the rest on my trailer fenders, and it was globbing up at the nozzle, dripping and splattering on the ground and fenders.

I figured some had dried in the nozzle and went and got a brand new can to finish. The same thing happened with a brand new can, and my fenders look kind of crappy up close.

The Rustoleum in the spray cans works good. I did the fender flares on my jeep with it. The only down side to it is that it doesn't seem to have as much texture as the other brands. However I think it would be plenty good enough for the boat floor, and would probably take paint well.

Bed liner from a spray can is notoriously crappy. The need to come up with a new nozzle to get the stuff to come out evenly. Either way I wouldn't be using it to seal the bottom of a boat.

I've read a ton of good reviews about raptor liner. You can get kits with a spray gun for around 100 bucks online. I'm going to use it to redo my trailer.

ShadowWalker said:
Whatever you do, do not use the Duplicolor aerosol liner.

I used it on a dash bezel which turned out great. Then I went to use the rest on my trailer fenders, and it was globbing up at the nozzle, dripping and splattering on the ground and fenders.

I figured some had dried in the nozzle and went and got a brand new can to finish. The same thing happened with a brand new can, and my fenders look kind of crappy up close.

The Rustoleum in the spray cans works good. I did the fender flares on my jeep with it. The only down side to it is that it doesn't seem to have as much texture as the other brands. However I think it would be plenty good enough for the boat floor, and would probably take paint well.

How well did the aerosol stuff dry? Does it come out like an actual bedliner consistancy, or more like dry tar?

I've always had this gut feeling it's just rubber undercoat spray with a different label.

It comes out pretty good if you get a good can. Like a roll on but with a less agressive texture because you're not using a roller.

I've used herc quite a bit on different projects. It's tough stuff if you do the right prep work required. But it is thick and harder to clean.

What I'm using is a product called raptor made by u-pol. You apply it with a gun and compressor. You can get a kit for 109 shipped on eBay. The kit comes with the application gun as well. It's also available in a tintable base. It's a waterproofer. Very easy to clean and dries rock hard. You get nice even texture and it's thinner than herc.

My 2 cents but I think it's the only way to go.

wcbond4 said:
I've used herc quite a bit on different projects. It's tough stuff if you do the right prep work required. But it is thick and harder to clean.

What I'm using is a product called raptor made by u-pol. You apply it with a gun and compressor. You can get a kit for 109 shipped on eBay. The kit comes with the application gun as well. It's also available in a tintable base. It's a waterproofer. Very easy to clean and dries rock hard. You get nice even texture and it's thinner than herc.

My 2 cents but I think it's the only way to go.
What do you need to do to prep.
Does the floor have to be sanded to the metal.

It depends on the quality of the surface. Pretty much follow standard painting prep. Just follow the instructions that come with the kit. And before you apply clean your entire surface. Make sure to look for the hurc with uv protector or it will fade. I would recommend the raptor unless you don't have a compressor.

I used it on my trailer and have been very happy with the results

Latest posts