Removing Middle Seat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkhunter8383

Reaction score
First off, I would like to say that I have been cruising this site for the past day and I am amazed at all the info on here. I have learned so much and have not needed to ask a question yet. That being said, I've tried using the search function to find out how to remove the middle seat in my boat, but haven't found anything. I see plenty of posts about people who have removed them, but no tips/tricks, or how to's. So if anyone could tell me what they think the best way to get a middle seat out, that would be great. Thanks, and look forward to using this site all the time,

Joey

Well i'd like to say welcome to the board first off and second my friend we need some more information on your rig, what kind of seat's they are IE bench seat's ? Also some pictures if possible would work wonders on getting loads of information!

And feel free to check out my project i dont have a middle seat, i replaced it with a flat floor mine i removed the rivet's holding the brackets for the bench seat's and replaced them with stainless steel carriage head bolts with 3m 5200 sealer and nylon locking nuts.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24660&p=252164#p252164url

dkhunter8383 said:
First off, I would like to say that I have been cruising this site for the past day and I am amazed at all the info on here. I have learned so much and have not needed to ask a question yet. That being said, I've tried using the search function to find out how to remove the middle seat in my boat, but haven't found anything. I see plenty of posts about people who have removed them, but no tips/tricks, or how to's. So if anyone could tell me what they think the best way to get a middle seat out, that would be great. Thanks, and look forward to using this site all the time,

Joey
Welcome aboard!

The center seat is crucial support for the structural integrity of the boat but if you have done your research and choose to proceed...

Grind off the rivits wherever accessible. Use a center punch or something similar to push the rivits out of the hole. The center seat should come right out after that.

When grinding use a high grit sanding pad like 80-120. This will make the grind marks able to be blended in with a scotch brite or something similar.

Sorry guys, I'm getting so excited to work on my boat I forgot to tell you about it. It is a 1977 Lund, with a 25hp Mudbuddy longtail on her. Last summer I did a lot of work to her, so I'll put those pics up in the boat project section. I mainly use this boat for duck hunting, but in the summer I do plenty of carp shooting and fishing. I will not be removing the whole seat because on the starboard side I have my cd player and a speaker mounted, so I will only be taking out about 2/3s of the seat. Here are some pics and I will start a post in the other section to give you guys a better idea of what I am working with.

Attachments

• 241.JPG
    241.JPG
    701 KB · Views: 832
Instead of removing your seat, you may want to conside extending your front deck back to to back of your middle seat. This will give you a large platforn up front with lots of storage beneath and it won't weaken your boat like seat removal will.

Alternative to grinding would be drilling the center of the rivet. Get a decent drill bit though because cheap ones can snap off pretty easily (I learned it the hard way). You can then use a center punch and it should pop out. You can then use 3M 5200 and new rivets to seal any holes that would take in water.

As "aeviaanah" said though - it's an important part of the boat structure, so if you remove it - you will want something in it's place.

I would consider a larger platform in the front as well.

Vermonster said:
Alternative to grinding would be drilling the center of the rivet. Get a decent drill bit though because cheap ones can snap off pretty easily (I learned it the hard way). You can then use a center punch and it should pop out. You can then use 3M 5200 and new rivets to seal any holes that would take in water.

As "aeviaanah" said though - it's an important part of the boat structure, so if you remove it - you will want something in it's place.

I would consider a larger platform in the front as well.
Ah, I forgot about drilling them...this is the better option. :)

Yeah...drilling...I did that for the rivets I needed to remove on my boat and it was much easier. I didn't need a center punch either...if you do the right size bit the rivet should pop and that should be it...

Latest posts