Added a kick-up skeg/rudder to my toy boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I know, it isn't a tinny. I'll stop this craziness in a day or two!

However, my original post about this "toy kayak" (MANTA 10) brought a couple of comments about the need for a skeg or rudder.

So...this morning, I cobbled together the rudder/skeg shown below. I used a broom stick; a piece of Walmart cutting board; scraps of plywood; a pool noodle; and a PVC fitting.

Right now, I'll rig it as a fixed kick-up skeg. After I spend a little time with it, I'll decide if I want to re-rig it as a moveable rudder. What do you think?

12012-04-04+12.29.05.jpg

Hi Rich. Cool toy. Here's a cool link to a guy designing and building a rudder and other mods for his "yak". It's amazing what you can do to those things with some imagination and some plastic pop rivets. Happy paddling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1PAsJrxncs

I took her out this afternoon. Skeg worked great. For a while, I was confused because she was pushing me to the port side on every paddle. I found out that I had mis-placed the "tiller" off to one side. I corrected that and she tracked beautifully.

Must have added some mojo, too. Caught over a dozen LM bass on the pond, including one over 3 lbs! Rare for this place, that is for sure.

Tomorrow I will drop her into Galveston Bay and see what happens. She fits just fine inside of my Toyota Van which is a big deal for me.

NO way did I want to push her up on top of the rack at 60 lbs!. She slid right into the back of the van and I was able to keep her upright so it will be an easy drop and load from here on out.....I hope!

2012-04-04+17.55.53.jpg

2012-04-04+17.55.39.jpg

regards, Rich

Thanks to Junkin from another small boat site, who graciously.. and at his own expense...provided me with the aluminum shown below...I was able to totally re-do my kick up skeg rudder.

Like most first time tries at a mod...my original design was fraught with issues. The Wal-Mart cutting board rudder wasn't long enough. Setting the rudder shaft BELOW the stern allowed it to grab, catch and finally break..when I dragged the yak to the shoreline. I learned a lot....for very little money. 

The new design, shown below, also uses a Wal-Mart cutting board for a rudder, but it is shaped like other yak rudders always have been shaped. The kick up section is now mounted on Mike's aluminum and is far stronger. The entire unit rides ABOVE the stern, so nothing extends down to catch and break. The former broom stick shaft has been replaced with electrical PVC which is far stronger, yet flexible to give a bit if I hit anything.

regards, Rich

p.s. please disregard the erroneous date on the photos. It is from a new camera that has a screwy date setting system. But it was cheap and waterproof.

OLD DESIGN
12012-04-04+12.29.05+RESIZED.jpg

NEW DESIGN...
EKEN0015+resized.jpg

EKEN0016+resized.jpg

EKEN0017+resized.jpg

Rich,

Thanks for introducing us to this little kayak. I have two of them on order and possibly a third.

Been studying the pictures, but I don't understand what is going on here. What (other than weight) is keeping the skeg in the water?

It seems like there would be some wear points that could cause your line to fail.

I have some ideas, but it would call for two aluminum plates on either side of the PVC, with roller bearings or at least bushings in between to keep the line from fraying. Also, a dual spring to pull the skeg down for 'driving' position and a line keeper for loading and unloading. This would solve and potential problems with accidental beaching or whatever obstacles get in the way.

Thanks again, we'll get it together at some point!

Well, I look at every mod as a stepping stone to the next mod.

Unfortunately, I cannot see exactly what is happening behind me. However, my feeling, given the increased directional assistance from the rudder..... is.... that it is doing its job just fine. The cutting board is heavy. It certainly could have some lead weights added to bring it down even further, but, for my purposes...I won't be doing that until I feel it isn't efficient enough.

I have some sailing experience and recognize that, at speed, a rudder will want to lift up. My paddling doesn't add much speed. Ha Ha

A few things that don't show...may address a some of your issues. I have rigged up two balancing bungees that keep the skeg/rudder in a straight position, and the bungees are over-come by my pulley system, when needed.

The pulley system, which could be pedal powered easily enough, consists of two lines that pull sideways on the aluminum. They give me directional control. They terminate in two stoppers at the helm...whoops, I mean my seat.

My perceived need, other than the straightening effect of the "skeg"..... is to be able to set a shore-line drift with sufficient compensation to overcome any slight wind-driven variances.

This evening, I took her out and was able to shore-line drift, about twenty feet out,...the entire length of my little 8 acre lake. An occasional pull on the starboard or port lines adjusted the drift. I caught a half dozen bass and missed an equal number more.

When the wind was abaft the beam...whooops, ....sideways,..... I had to give up trying to fish and paddle like H$$$.

My needs are simple. My approach is, I think, simple. I don't worry about "wearing out the lines due to lack of roller bearings." I do have pulleys at all direction-changing points. I won't live long enough to wear out any lines on this yak. If I did, I'd just replace them before any issues arose.

I am always willing to change and modify. In fact, my long-suffering wife (who is off on a cruise! ) says "I never found ANYTHING that was designed properly" when I bought it.

Just a tinkerer at heart, I am!

Ha Ha Keep in touch. Regards, rich

Ha Ha, Rich.

I too, love to tinker. Enjoy your boat. I love it when you buy something and it just happens to fit your life. As in just makes it into the van and just happens to work nearly perfectly for what you had in mind.

-J

I guess I passed over, too easily, your comment...

"Thanks for introducing us to this little kayak. I have two of them on order and possibly a third."

Whooa !!! At least, I deserve a commission from where ever you ordered the yaks! Ha Ha !

Now, you already know, with a few mods, I really, really, like this little yak.

But, one of the reasons that I like it so much is that it supports my big butt. There are dozens of really fine kayaks that fit "normal people". I hope my enthusiasm didn't sway you improperly.

Tell us more, if you'd like, about why you have two on order and possibly a third!!! No weight revelations are necessary, of course. Other guys/gals have expressed an interest. I can only assume that they, like me, are "full figured fishermen". ha ha
regards, Rich

p.s. I have her loaded up and ready to go chase an elusive saltwater redfish tomorrow. I hope I can bring back some good tidings.

Oh, one more thing...My sister-in-law is moving to Knoxville one of these years. I have to drive through Nashville to get to Knoxville, I think. Might meet up someday, you never know. rich

Rich,

I'm about 165lbs soaking wet. The first two kayaks are not for me. I may buy a third.

We host church events sometimes around our house. We have a lake out front and a river backyard. I'm looking for the most stable boat for this river.

Dad (about your age) and kids need to know to get away from the boat in the case of a strainer. I damned near died about a month ago in East TN at 5400 cfs flow whitewater. I have a healthy respect for whitewater, and especially when there are kids on my property.

-J

You have nearly 1100 posts here on TinBoats?

Just noticed that.

Plus, you're all over my other boards!

Anyway, your commission check is in the mail.

what are your other boards? I am only on four. two kayaking, two in TX, one in FL???

I gotcha! Since these are rated for 500 lbs. ( I'd use 350 or 400 lbs) and are tandem...they could be great for father/son mother/daughter/son boaters who wanted to get onto a lake and enjoy it with their family.

I have never been on a more stable craft...and I've owned twenty or more.

I've done some serious white-water rafting in the distant past. I've pulled a couple of people out of rushing waters. The last time was in the Caymans, and I was in some class 4's that I shouldn't have been in. At my age, I'm done with that now, but I never forget the power of the rivers. You could die out there in a minute or less!

Keep us posted!

regards, Rich

Microskiff

CustomGheenoe

TinBoats

Oh, and forget anything other than class II from here on out. Period.

Also, I did that 5,400 (which dropped to about 3,300) over 16 miles in a *&$%@# open top Canoe. No kidding.

Lost the boat 12 miles in and decided to hump it out alone. The other teams found the boat, but I wouldn't get back in. Middle/East TN is no fuckin joke, man. I was with certified Wilderness EMT's and paddlesports instructors. (two of the four of us). Never again. Their training matters none if they can't get to you.

may have to steal your idea. mine was delivered yesterday and the girlfriend and I took it out yesterday and today riding tandem. first time out was in a small river and the second time was in creek/flood area of the local national park. did well both times but I would like it to track straighter. I do plan on doing some fishing out of it when the gf doesn't go with me. I saw on an advertisement where ppl were standing up them. I tried it yesterday in the river and it was more stable than I thought!

Super stable....I couldn't agree more. I haven't tried standing, but will when I can get in some really shallow water. My pond goes from one foot to five/or/ seven feet really quickly.

WARNING

Don't know where you bought yours from BUT...be certain they gave you a MSO ( Manufacturer's Statement of Origin.). I love my MANTA, but I am considering adding a small trolling motor for long runs. I happen to have a spare 36 lb MK in the shop doing nothing. Also have a small gas mower battery not doing anything either.

So...I checked the Texas regulations. ANY boat that has ANY power on it has to be registered. On a new boat (first time registration) you have to supply a bill of sale; a Form PWD-143 from the TX P&W AND the MSO. Sports Authority, where I bought the boat, haven't called me back yet from two or three days ago about providing a MSO to me. I believe that they have to do it, by law.

Did you get a MSO with your boat? From whom did you buy it, may I ask? Even if you, personally, have no interest in adding a trolling motor, some future buyer might. Keep the MSO in a safe place. regards, Rich

I got one with mine. I bought it online from sport authority since it was the cheapest I could find being under $400.00 shipped. Mine was with the other papers that were zip tied to the one of the tie down spots. It has the warranty info on the bottom of it. And I threw it in with the title to my jon boat even though I never plan on adding a motor to it. the trolling motor kit is available at sams clubs online for anyone that is interested

re the MSO...it would be a great help to me if you wouldn't mind scanning it and sending it to me as an attachment to my email address. I am sending that email address to you via PM.

The people at my local Sports Authority apparently have never seen one. Each MSO is unique because it has to have the hull number on it.

They were bewildered when I called them about it. If I can walk in with a photocopy of one...that came from Sports Authority itself...maybe I can get some action.

I would like to move ahead with building a home-made brace for my trolling motor. I will not pay $150 or 250. for a bracket, especially when the boat didn't cost too much more. thanks..Please let me know. Thank You. Rich