Vulkem 116

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac3569

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of this product, or better yet tried it on an aluminum boat? My family is trying to fix up an old 10ft johnboat and I told them to take it to a welder first to fix the transom. (has 2 or 3 cracks in it) The welding shop told them no problem and they would put this product on the leaky rivets. My plan was to rebuck the rivets but it seems this "fix" will be done before it can be stopped. Link below

https://www.tremcosealants.com/commercial/products/product_detail.asp?id=1

Vulkem is a caulking product used on commercial buildings and swimming pool decks. The product itself is waterproof, my concern would be it adhearing to alum. It does stay flexable to allow for expansion and contraction.Never heard it being used as a sealant on boats, IMHO I would stay with the tried and true products guys on this forum have used....River

Yeah, thanks for the replies, I am curious too. I searched the forum before posting and nothing came up, ha ha

I've used Vulkem to seal cracks in concrete, the gap between swimming pool decks and bull nose edging (pull up the foam spacer), house siding, showers, windows, and peeling soles on tennis shoes. It's good stuff. I think it is a polyurethane sealant as opposed to a "caulk."

The key is to use acetone or similar solvent to clean the area. The only down side to it is that it has a gritty consistency and is a bear to clean off any skin.

I have been investigating this prodict to fix a leak between the bottom and the transom of my Alumacraft boat. This is what Alumacraft recommends to do the job. The polyurethane sealant allows the joint to flex drom the torque of the motor while sealing the leak.

P1060608.jpg.html

Latest posts