Hatch for a 22.5" x 9" cutout?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
22.5" x 9" is the size of the cutout in the front of the deck on my tracker grizzly.

As common as the boats are you would think someone would make a hatch that fits right in. I haven't found one yet.

I can find close to where I only have to widen the hole on one side but I thought maybe someone here might know of someplace that I haven't checked. It would have to be an obscure place because I have been looking for a while.

I've almost talked myself into just putting a plate of aluminum or piece of starboard over it and using a piano hinge on the bottom but I think a hatch would look nicer and be more waterproof.

Also it seems like the ones that come closest are the higher priced ones :( .

I'll probably have to get the jig saw out but I thought I'd try here.

Thanks
Sam

I also built a rear cover across the back where the file tank is to give the rear fisher a little more deck to stand on.

Attachments

• 2011-06-04 21.30.47.jpg
    2011-06-04 21.30.47.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 373
  • 2011-06-04 21.31.01.jpg
    2011-06-04 21.31.01.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 373
Looks good!

In the first picture is that a rod box to the right? If so was it the optional one they sell or the one that comes with a side console?

And on the rear plate what thickness did you go with on your diamond tread? Is the angles you attached to the sides of the pods there for just some extra support or why didn't you just let it sit on the top of the pods by itself?

Thanks

No its the "livewell" option, it was ordered by the first owner that never used the boat. I use it for storage as it is tiny! Iused 1/8th" diamond plate salvaged from an old tailgate protector. The the diamond plate sits on the pods, I added the angle around the inside for added strength. Without it the hatch had a little sag. And the the gap along the transom is great for dropping trash and cans in, I get home and clean it out, keeps ne from having a trash bag in my way while fishing. I was very happy with the results.

lovedr79 said:
Sorry, the from does not sit on the bench. The pods were about 1/8th" lower than the pods.

Yes, sounds just like mine.
Originally I was thinking I might hinge it the other direction. Why did you make yours open that way?

1/8 inch sags a little, that means I'd better go with min. 3/16 or probably 1/4. (I usually fish from the back and I'm what you would call the extra large jumbo size)

I hear ya. I hinged it that way so I wouldn't have to drill my bench all up and I wouldn't have to reach over the door. Plus with the pods being lower I recessed the door to make it level with the bench.

Latest posts