Seat help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisuke47

Reaction score
Hi im building a deck on my 1438 jon boat and the front bench seat is caved in i need some advice on how to straiten it back up and reinforce it underneath i have linked two pictures the tan boat is mine and the green one with the framing is what im trying to do any help you guys can give would be great thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0071.JPG
    IMAG0071.JPG
    652.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_20110426_172718.jpg
    IMG_20110426_172718.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 334
Have you thought about removing the platform that is currently in there? Your bench looks a bit longer than the first boat. You can likely frame directly from the bow and add a hatch either on top or from the back like it currently is.

Try a hydraulic bottle jack, with a pc of 3/4" plywood under the bottom of it so as not to match floor to the deck. Or, like Vermonster said take it out and start Your frame since it's not much use as it is. and You'll have a lot more storage by taking it out. Just My $0.02 worth.

kisuke47 said:
Do you mean just take the front bench seat out all together?

Yep. I thought about using a jack like Novaman said, but I think it would likely bend right back to where it was as soon as you put any weight on it. I think if you take the bench out and replace it with aluminum angle for the frame and then cover it with your choice of ply or aluminum you will be happy with the results. Since you were thinking of extending it anyways - it will give you a bit more storage if you remove it.