paint removal ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC2133

Reaction score
What's the best way to remove old paint? Should I use an orbital sander, if so, what grit paper should I use? Or should I use a paint remover wheel that attaches to my grinder?

Thanks in advance

1st post done...many more to come :lol:

Congrats on starting your project.

You will get different opinions on that topic...if I had to remove all the paint I would likely try the stripper route.

I didn't have to remove all my paint, as most of the interior paint was adhering quite well, so I just scuffed it up, primed and painted.

My exterior has no paint so that's easier.

A lot of guys do use the wire wheel method, though.

Here's what I'm working with. The past owner want to camo it but stopped 80% of the way.

401994387.jpg

401994388.jpg

I used a wire cup brush and a 1/2" drill to remove the old factory paint on my Starcraft, it was a lot of work.

CitrusStrip paint stripper availble in Wal mart and Home Depot paints depts. Paint it on with a brush and let it set for 12 - 24 hrs.

Remove paint with a putty knife, scraper, or pressure washer with a high power tip. Buff off any residue with a wire cup brush on a grinder.

aircraft remover + pressure washer!!!

i am doing this now to one of my boats, it's easily stripping off 5+ layers of paint with little to no effort from my end. just brush it on, wait a couple minutes, then pressure wash it off. done. i did about 1/6 of the interior of a 14' boat in 10 minutes today just to test the process. i expect to get the whole boat stripped tomorrow morning.

i don't like the idea of removing the paint from an aluminum boat by sanding or wire brushing since you inevitably also remove a small portion of the hull. stripping with aircraft remover just takes off the paint and leaves you with a surface that pretty much looks like new.

acabtp said:
aircraft remover + pressure washer!!!

i am doing this now to one of my boats, it's easily stripping off 5+ layers of paint with little to no effort from my end. just brush it on, wait a couple minutes, then pressure wash it off. done. i did about 1/6 of the interior of a 14' boat in 10 minutes today just to test the process. i expect to get the whole boat stripped tomorrow morning.

i don't like the idea of removing the paint from an aluminum boat by sanding or wire brushing since you inevitably also remove a small portion of the hull. stripping with aircraft remover just takes off the paint and leaves you with a surface that pretty much looks like new.

I've never heard of aircraft remover. Where can I pick some up and how much would I need?
Thanks

Aircraft stripper works great. Just wear gloves, it burns really bad! I used wire cup brush first and it just takes a while but works. Stripper can be found at auto parts store.

JC2133 said:
I've never heard of aircraft remover. Where can I pick some up and how much would I need?
Thanks
they should have it at advance auto parts, autozone, pep boys, probably walmart too... where ever you'd go for DIY automotive painting supplies. rustoleum and kleen strip both make versions of it. i paid $40 for a gallon the other day, i think that will be enough for my 14' boat. how much you need will depend on how much paint you have to remove.

you can get it at WM, autozone, discount auto ect. I used it on my tin to take it to bare metal, it worked and removed about 85-90% the rest i did with a angle grinder with stripper pad. do small sections at a time as if you let it dry you have to start over.

Latest posts