False Floor Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evergreen

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just bought an Alumacraft V14. I plan to be putting a false floor in it with a small casting deck. I plan to cut out a piece of 5/8" treated plywood. I already have plenty of plywood, but none treated. Is there anything i could spray on it/paint it with so i don't have to buy new stuff? And i was also just planning to put some treated 2x4's as supports in the base. So my main questions is; how do i secure the floor to the boat? I heard screw somewhere but won't that make it leak? Couldn't i just administer some glue around the edges or something?

Oh, and i plan to put a hatch under my casting deck, and maybe one that leads to under the floor for more storage. What do i need, and how do i do this?

Thanks much.

ok...anyone know were i can find some marine grade plywood? I can't seem to find any on Home Depot or Rona's website...
Thanks.

Buy regular CD-X or Construction Grade plywood, with one fine edge on the one side. Don't get the crap that is glued together. Then buy some Thompson's Waterseal or paint and waterseal it. Then install it.
Don't screw into the floor of the boat, That's foolish. Get screws install in to the ribs. If you have benches secure it to them. Your boat has to have ribs so, screw em in to them.

1/2" is the minimum I'd use. Some folks use 3/4", but it will weigh a bit more. +1 on the non-PT wood too. Seal exterior grade, non-Pt plywood with epoxy, f'glass & resin, or spar urethane then attach to the ribs using stainless steel sheet metal screws and/or aluminum pop rivets. dip any through hull fasteners with 3M 5200 marine sealant prior to installation.

Latest posts