interior boat paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewster_r

Reaction score
Hello I have been looking on this board for some time now and have decided to chime in, and ask some questions. I have recently picked up a trailerboat that is 12' long and a semi V. The interior was pretty tore up so I have decided to remove all the paint, decks and transom and replace with all new. I have removed all the paint on the interior and have bought Rustoleum self etching primer (recommended on many different posts) to prime the interior. Wanting to paint soon after I prime I want to get the interior paint ASAP. I like a light blue or light gray color but am unsure of the finish: gloss, semi gloss, satin or flat. Those of you that have painted in a gloss is there a bad reflection while on the water. What is your preferred paint, I am trying to do this on a budget so I am thinking Rustoleum paint but am open to any other suggestions. Any advice will be much appreciated.
https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/chewster_r/252.jpg

Rustoleum is likely fine. I think you would want a flat paint just for the glare though. Congrats on the boat too! Make sure you wipe it down with vinegar or acetone prior to priming. The cleaner it is - the better it's going to turn out.

Flat paint would be my choice for the interior, no reflections or glare. Something light, as anything dark will heat up quick in the sun making you feel like you are in a solar oven. Rustolium is good. With the self etch primer you should be ok to skip the Alumaprep (etching) step, but a good wipe down with Acetone or other greese remover to degrease even your fingerprints will insure the primer will adhere. When you are done with the restore, let us see the final product.

thanks for all the input, you have confermed what I was thinking. Hoping to primer on wed if the weather holds out. Will post more pics later.

Just curious to know how many cans of primer and paint you estimated to use? I have a 14 footer that I'm going to redo and I'm not sure how much to pick up.
Thanks

JC2133 - I used five cans to cover my 13 footer on the outside, and estimate six to seven for the inside (I did my seats - inside, outside and bottoms after removing the bench.) This gave me a a good single layer of coverage. Some folks do a single layer while other use a double layer, just depends on what you need. I stripped to the metal and acid etched before priming. Get eight cans to be safe and return what you dont use, I doubt it will be more than one can that you will return and its better to complete the job in one shot than stop to get one more can! - Chris

Latest posts