Need your opinion on this type of Hinge for my Hatches

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb

Reaction score
Been working away on my mod and now I've come to the point where I have to make a decsion as to what type of Hinge to use for my battery compartment and livewell.

I dread going to flat SS Piano Hinge and screwing it into the 3/4 ply. I feel the screws will eventually fail - especially on the livewell.

So, I came across this idea: Using Boat Seat SS Hinges, which will allow me to screw into the underside of the plywood instead of the edge.

What does everyone think? (Will it work).

Here's a link to a Pic of what I'm talking about,

https://www.jtstopshop.com/products/prodDetails.asp?pID=8610&category=39&catsub1=24&catsub2=&subcategory=563&size=0&search=&scBrand=0&page=

Really need your input, Thxs,

bobby

Those fears (screws pulling out), are definitely founded. Plywood doesn't hold well in the end grain at all.

I would say those hinges should solve your problem, assuming you have access to the underside of the plywood on both the hatch lid and deck opening.

I share your concern about wood screws pulling through plywood.

When that is the case, I often just drill all of the way through and use a SS machine bolt, washers, and locking nut, instead of relying on the wood grain to hold up. Rich

Thanks Bassboy and Rich.

I did a test with a piece of flat SS hinge - I was okay with the Battery Hatch, but that livewell lid will def. get a workout (opening and closing constantly). I'm gonna test try the ss Boat Seat Hinge today and I'll report back incl Pic's. May solve the concern of screwing into an end grain.

bobby

bobbyb said:
but that livewell lid will def. get a workout (opening and closing constantly).

Some days, I sure wish I had that problem. There are times I'm lucky to have it open and shut 5 times....