Will a 15 hp plane a 1448 grizzly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyeking

Reaction score
I have questions about a boat I want to buy. First I bought a 1434 old boat and trailer with a 15 horse nearly new merc. I cant stop the boat from leaking,every time I stop the leaks it form new ones. I want to buy another boat. I have found a 1448 Grizzly that is in great shape. Problem is it has a 19" transom and weighs over 400 lbs. I think I can cut the transom down but dont know if my motor will plane this boat. It runs the old boat (130 lbs) with two men about 380 lbs, 24mph.

If you don't put to much "stuff" in it I would think it should. Like maybe 2 rods instead of 4 and maybe 12 beers instead of 24, and maybe only one tackle box. Probably won't need the anchor either... Yep. It should plane out OK

keep an eye on craigslist, you will find a deal. I have a 1836 for sale reasonably priced....im just sayin

I had a 1448 mod-v that weighed close to that Grizzly. My 15HP Mariner planed it out fine even with three guys, two batteries, all our gear, and a plywood front casting deck.

If the motor is tuned and running fine, with the right prop (in good condition) you'll be fine.

A two stroke 15hp might do it. I have a 20hp fourstroke with a sideconsole it barley gets it up on plane. But I am loaded down.

Thanks but after looking at the transom again I dont think I'll be able to cut it down. I dont think the motor will fit right. Think I will go with a 1542. Again thanks for the advice.

You can always downsize the pitch of your prop, it might be be a speed demon, but would push more weight.

Al

My transom was 20" I cut it down to 17" for a short shaft. I made it 20" wide and my motor fits perfect. I actually had to raise it up a hair. If its a deal then cutting the transom is easy and very well worth it if its the layout you want

I solved my problem. Bought a new Alumacraft 1448mv. I like my boats like my woman( short and fat) . Its not a welded boat but will last me as long as I will be able to use it. Huge improvement over the Delhi. Very stable boat.

Latest posts