Richline Challenger: Scrap it or keep it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaBass

Reaction score
My first post here. I am BLOWN AWAY by the amount of information I can find on this site about my specific boat and situation but still have many questions

Sorry! I can't figure out how to upload photos here! I created a flickr account with the two pics, along with descriptions, here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78896504@N04/
I would REALLY appreciate someone checking these out and giving me an opinion on whether or not to keep this boat or get rid of it. It should also be noted that someone fiberglassed the floor of the boat (I have already removed this) and the outside of the boat, below the water-line rail. I am in the process of removing this. Both the fiberglass residue and the paint on the boat are putting up a major fight while I am attempting to remove them.

Looks like it could be a cool tin. From the picture it looks like you are getting it straightened out. When I got it squared back up I would probably fill it with water and see if it leaked before I did a bunch of work on it and discovered it leaked.

i would guess that it leaks, and probably pretty bad... otherwise why would they have fiberglassed it inside and out?

Wow Im new to and feel ur pain. I would be afraid to, on the straightening process that some rivets are now loose. Fill it up and see if or how many leaks it has.

My biggest fear would be to get to far and have a lost cause.

I would get it straightened out and then go thru and re buck the rivits and take a heat gun and heat the seams. Rich Line used a sealer on the seams and from what I have read that you can heat it up to reseal it. Check and make sure that the rivits havent pulled thru the metal.

Steve

I can't say if you should keep it or not, but I have a Rich Line, and I love it. Tough old boat, and fun.
Seems like you have the right idea with straightening it. Patience, patience, patience. Good luck.

Ok, thanks so much for the help so far. I've done some more cleaning up of the inside and discovered two small (2'') tears in the hull, one where the seat brace attaches to the bottom of the hull and another in the front of the hull... both are basically in the floor of the boat. Opinions on jb-welding these tears? What about jb-welding any other leaky spots?

i'd rivet a plate in or get it welded. if the aluminum tore, the jb weld will probably not hold.

did you do a leak test yet?

Latest posts