New member checking in

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beefer

Reaction score
Hi all. Just wanted to introduce myself. I recently (last weekend) picked up an older Sears GameFisher, 13.5' jon boat. I have an old Johnny QD-20 (1959 10hp) that I have on it. I'm new to the world of tin boats, but not new to boating (have a 22' w/a currently). I'm going to have some questions about aluminum boats, so be prepared. :)

First question - why is my boat so tippy!??! Seems like she's going to go over if I'm not exactly in the center. Is the engine too heavy? She sits pretty good in the water, so I'm not sure.

2012-04-01184904-2.jpg

2012-04-01184851-1.jpg

:WELCOME: To Tinboats.

The more narrow the boat the more unstable it becomes. To have a stable Jon boat you would need one that is at least 42' on the floor, preferably 48 or bigger though.. If I had a guess the one you have pictured is prob 32 or 36.

Be sure to update your location.

Welcome from a fellow newbie too.

Agreed on the floor of the boat, I was going to get a 1436 but was warned since I wanted a casting deck to go bigger that i might have some stability issues. 32" and even 36" for that matter when you look at it on the tape measure is really not that much. Good luck out there!

sixgun86 said:
:WELCOME: To Tinboats.

The more narrow the boat the more unstable it becomes. To have a stable Jon boat you would need one that is at least 42' on the floor, preferably 48 or bigger though.. If I had a guess the one you have pictured is prob 32 or 36.

Be sure to update your location.

+1 plus :WELCOME:

Latest posts