Implement Paint and Hardener - Longevity & Durability?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundshock

Reaction score
Done quite a bit of searching on different options for paint on my project boat.

I've seen a lot of guys using the tractor and equipment paints combined with a hardener to increase durability and hardness. Has anyone given any long-term reports on how this has held up? Every paint looks great for the first few weeks/months/years, but I'm curious as to whether this particular paint option is something that can stand up for a good while, or scratches/chips/peels after a while.

I'd rather not do this job twice in rapid succession, so I figured I'd ask.

I know from my VW days that there are lots of old VW Beetles that were painted John Deere black, and used as daily drivers. From what I've read (samba.com), it holds up really well. I would imagine it would hold up as well on a boat. :?:

Very good question. I will be painting the inside of my boat within the next few weeks using this method and would like to see some reports on how well it has held-up.

I used Ford Blue on my boat with hardener and Gloss Black on my trailer without hardener... Self etching primer on the boat and oil based primer on the trailer and here is my opinion.

USE THE HARDENER!!! My trailer still looks in decent condition but I really haven't abused it but i know it would scratch really easy if i did... the boat on the other hand has been beached, scraped thru cypress trees, banged around, etc... and it has it's minor scratches, but any other boat with different paint would have way more. With the hardener it is very durable (IMO the closest you can get to powdercoating) and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again! I applied it with a roller brush and did a couple of coats if I remember correctly. The paint hasn't faded one bit and when washed it looks brand new and super glossy! I just wish i wouldn't have banged it around so much but fish aren't gonna sit out in the open water! Remeber prep is everything when it comes to painting so take your time and do it right... then paint!

I would recommend the hardener. I did not know about it until after I had mine painted, and it scratches easier than I would like. I used the Valspar Ford blue.

Latest posts