painted boat thread?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegr8cody

Reaction score
Not sure if there is one on here or not. I have been researching painting my boat amd apparently alot of other people have too...its basically the same questions, what kimd of primer, what kind of paint, etc... they all have good information but lack pictures. I think we should start a thread with pictures of painted boats and equipment used. Amd if youre happy with the outcome and what you would do anything differently.opinions on this?

thegr8cody said:
Not sure if there is one on here or not. I have been researching painting my boat amd apparently alot of other people have too...its basically the same questions, what kimd of primer, what kind of paint, etc... they all have good information but lack pictures. I think we should start a thread with pictures of painted boats and equipment used. Amd if youre happy with the outcome and what you would do anything differently.opinions on this?

Absolutely agree. Possibly a How To/Tech Section. It would make for a great sticky thread for newbees like myself. Although most people would say use the search option... #-o

The only problem with the search box is if you type in "paint" alot of the threads are gonna be people askin the same question. Alot of people claim to have done it but you have to search through so many builds to find pictures. If I can talk my wife into "expanding" my allowance Im gonna try to do mine this weekend.

I painted my tin! I did all the research here before I purchased my supplies and I think it turned out great. Only thing I would do different is not use steelflex!! If I had it to do all over I would have used gluvit on the inside and just painted. Above the waterline I used regular old self etching primer then painted the boat with Ace rust stopper enamel. I added a hardener to the enamel which I think really helped. I applied the paint with a 4" high density foam roller, these oil based enamels are all self leveling so the finish came out great. To prep the boat I used a wire wheel to remove all the old paint, before I painted I made sure to thoroughly clean the hull with acetone!!

Hope that might clear up some of your questions.

pics:

74Mirrocraft003.jpg

primed

74Mirrocraft010.jpg

painted

74Mirrocraft011.jpg

finished, the gray is steelflex

This thread is a great idea. I'm. Mindanao stuck on the primer stage right now.
I primed with self etching primer rustoleum. But not sure if I need to sand the primer
before painting it or not. Wet sand?

thegr8cody said:
Boat looks great thanks for the info. How many cans of primer did you use?

I believe I used just 2 cans of primer. You don't put the primer on thick, just a light coat.

flajsh said:
This thread is a great idea. I'm. Mindanao stuck on the primer stage right now.
I primed with self etching primer rustoleum. But not sure if I need to sand the primer
before painting it or not. Wet sand?

I did a quick light sanding on the primer with 1500 grit just to smooth it out a little bit, didn't wet sand it though. Cleaned it again with acetone then applied the enamel. The paint adhered really well it would take a pretty good scrape to scratch it. I highly recommend the hardener if you go with an enamel, I got it at tractor supply.

I actually have a pic of the hardener.
001-5.jpg

I'll add that I used underwater primer (Interlux) on the outside and inside of my tin. I then used Interlux topside paint on the outside of the hull thinking that my boat will be stored on a trailer and only used in fresh water. I used regular Rustoleum paint on the inside of the boat. So far so good.

moberg12 said:
Only thing I would do different is not use steelflex!! If I had it to do all over I would have used gluvit on the inside and just painted.

Just wondering why gluvit over steelflex? Are these similar products just goes on the exterior vs interior? Is gluvit easier to apply?

moberg12 said:
thegr8cody said:
Boat looks great thanks for the info. How many cans of primer did you use?

I did a quick light sanding on the primer with 1500 grit just to smooth it out a little bit, didn't wet sand it though. Cleaned it again with acetone then applied the enamel. The paint adhered really well it would take a pretty good scrape to scratch it. I highly recommend the hardener if you go with an enamel, I got it at tractor supply.

I actually have a pic of the hardener.
001-5.jpg

Sorry for another stupid question. But is enamel the only type that should be used. Gloosy or semi?

On going project. Just finished the primer

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24998

JC2133 said:
Just wondering why gluvit over steelflex? Are these similar products just goes on the exterior vs interior? Is gluvit easier to apply?

I've never applied gluvit, but if I had to guess it would be easier than steelfex to apply. The reason I would choose gluvit it next time is because it can be painted and stays flexible once it dries. Both products are used to help seal hulls. Do some reading on the two, there is a long steelflex thread at the top of this section.

flajsh said:
Sorry for another stupid question. But is enamel the only type that should be used. Gloosy or semi?

Enamel is just one of many. There are so many paints to choose from it can be hard to decide. I just wanted something tough, and cheap that I could pick up locally so I could easily make any touchups needed!! I used glossy.

Hey guys got a question about topside paint.
I was looking online at hd or lowes and I saw one of them said brush on
And it was only one Color . So my question is. Since I will be rolling on
Do I have to use that or can I use the others since there are more Color choices.

I wanna get this sucker painted sat. Ive been waiting all week.

Latest posts