I got a deal on a glass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler_W

Reaction score
He told me 850. It is a 16 foot monarch tri-hull with a 75 horse motor on it. All it NEEDS is a new throttle and new guages. It has a fairly used trolling motor on it. The fiberglass is not in bad shape at all. No cracks or anything that i can tell. But my only problem is that it's a 1975 year boat and i'm afraid of what kinda strength the friberglass still has in it. I plan on builing new decks and painting it and such (building the interior like i want it). What would you guys say? The boat it's self is not in bad shape at all and it has a basically new trailor. Oh yeah and it needs a new trolling motor quick connect plug thing.

Tyler, I have a 1975 12' fiberglass tri-hull that has been beat up, scraped up, patched up, modified, and is still holding together.

Alright sweet! Can you post some pictures of yours? I'd like to see what you have done

Do you have any pictures of the boat Tyler? I am assuming the motor is a Johnson or Evinrude (one of the more common makes of a 75 horse in the mid 70s). If it is a merc, a 1975 is going to be a real fussy engine, and really only of value to the die hard merc guys (I am a die hard Johnnyrude guy myself).

When you go to look at the boat, go over EVERY bit of the deck. Stand on it, jump on it, if it gives, run. A small soft spot in the deck, 'specially in a glass boat, usually means rotten stringers, and possibly a dead transom as well. Any one of these makes a glass boat just about worthless, and it is a very painstaking, costly repair.

Also, you say it needs a new throttle, + new gauges. A throttle, even used, is probably going to cost 75 bucks or so, and gauges aren't cheap. A fuel gauge, and tach are going to cost you 125 to 150.

Now, a trihull is a very stable hull at rest, which means it is a stable fishing platform. And, depending on the shape of the center "hull," they can also make real nice smooth runs even in choppy water. A 75 is going to push that at a pretty good clip too. I would say mid to high 30s.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so post some up.

Great advice BassBoy1!

In addition for dead and soft spots, look for any patching, especially below the water line. Look for separation where any fitting meets the glass. Basically, look for anyway water (rain water especially if it is stored outside) can run on the inside of the glass hull or deck.

Good luck

I went yesterday after school and looked at it and looked at evrything bassboy1 is talking about. The guy i'm buying it from says that the motor runs good(and this guy is a very close friend so he wouldn't lie to me). And i plan on spending some money on is this boat anyway.. I'm gonna take my time and build new strong decks and everything. And i did not see any patches or anything but the prop on the motor is a little beat up so i'm probably gonna get another one to replace it. And the guy replaced all the wood on the decks and all last fall. I'll get some pics sometime this week hopefully

If you haven't already bought the boat, I'd suggest that you carefully inspect all the wiring under the outboard motor's cowling.

Tug and pull on the wires to see if the insulation falls off!

Some OB wires of that age are very prone to becoming brittle, and the first time a person does any work on the motor...like changing cables, the insulation falls off.

Locating a new wiring cable is sometimes difficult,,,and costly!

I learned this the hard way!!

Latest posts