Million dollar idea or???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
Or maybe I need to cut back on the pain meds.... But, with this weird weather we have been having I'm experiencing a lot of cross winds.

I fish a long narrow lake so it is a pain staying a consistant distance from the edge.

I'm no rocket scientist but seems that a lot of the problem is the boat being flat on the bottom lets it blow around in the wind pretty easily and my i-pilot has a hard time keeping up and over corrects.

My idea was some kind of keel that you could install running down the middle of the boat say a piece of 1/4" aluminum flat stock on edge hanging down 6-8" by the length of the boat.

I realize that it wouldn't work for shallow water but that's not an issue for what I want. Maybe even make it removable.

This would be for slow speed trolling motor power only.

Would something like this even work or do I really need to cut down on my meds? LOL

I guess it would be like a v bottom boat with the stability of a flatbottom.

I'm fairly certain I've seen it done on here by a member.

That, or I forgot to take my meds today.... :LOL2:

I already have a transom trolling motor that I keep down for a ruddder but it doesn't seem to do enough.

That t-bar that was referenced was exactly what I was thinking of in shape but it's only 1/2" tall.

Probably some kind of math formula that lets you figure the surface area on the side of the boat and wind speed to determine the square feet needed to counter the wind with a keel.

this what you had in mind??????

I modified my original "kick-up skeg" for my "Toy Yak" this morning. The "rudder' is a Wal-mart kitchen cutting board.

I have a piece of aluminum coming to replace the 3/4 inch plywood. The steering mechanism is a couple of pulleys..with lines.. and "line-stoppers" positioned next to me in the yak's seat.

Works pretty well for tracking a shoreline. Obviously, the "rudder" can be made to any size one wants.
One could set it up so that it was foot controlled. For my use, it was easy enough to use the lines and stoppers.

Hope this helps.

regards, Rich

DSC03858+resized.jpg

The full length idea you've drawn would probably be a significant aid in a crosswind, but would also make close quarters maneuvering a nightmare.

A fixed rudder nearer the stern would be much better - would keep the stern from swinging around, yet allowing the I-pilot to make course adjustments at the boat, and have the stern follow. The boat would still steer under power comfortably - probably much better than it does now. No need for a steerable rudder like the kayaks use - the I-pilot will deal with steerage. Seeing as you already have the trolling motor, you need something with a bit more surface area.

A concept like you've drawn, but limited to the back 2 feet of the hull seems like a better solution.