Custom Cut "Cutting Board Plastic" Blocks and Sheets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the sake of anyone who finds this thread via search, Mcmaster-Carr and Grainger both carry a fairly good selection of HDPE, UHMW, and so on. Quick glance suggested prices may be a bit better than the site posted originally, but come only in incremental sizes - they aren't custom cut.

Figured I'd go ahead and throw these here to make this thread be fairly all inclusive.

Considering HDPE cuts as easily as wood, it seems you're paying a lot for some simple cuts. Get some Staboard and cut it yourself. You'll find a use for what's left over. Only problem with HDPE is nothing sticks to it, even 5200. There is a product out by the makers of Marine-Tex that is a 'glue', and you can also plastic weld it. Otherwise is some great stuff!

Not a transducer pad but I use an old plastic cutting board mounted to the top of the battery box for a bait cutting station on my fiberglass boat.

My favorite store is a thrift store. My latest find was a pair of aluminum oars for $14!

acabtp said:
man i wish they had named 'Starboard' differently... so hard to find what you are looking for in search results

I've tried to contact King, the manufacturers of Starboard, about purchasing small blocks. They never return my emails... :?

bassboy1 said:
For the sake of anyone who finds this thread via search, Mcmaster-Carr and Grainger both carry a fairly good selection of HDPE, UHMW, and so on. Quick glance suggested prices may be a bit better than the site posted originally, but come only in incremental sizes - they aren't custom cut.

Figured I'd go ahead and throw these here to make this thread be fairly all inclusive.

Gotta link?

Frogman Ladue said:
bassboy1 said:

Gotta link?

Here ya go.

This is the plastic sheet section of Grainger. It won't let me link further, so you'll have to hit HDPE at the left.

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/p...g/N-c1pZ1z0lft7?Ndr=basedimid10071&sst=subset

Mcmaster Carr never seems to link properly, so go here,
https://www.mcmaster.com/#
and hit 'raw materials,' then 'plastics,' then 'sheets, bars and strips, then 'Rigid polyethylene (HDPE).'

Thanks for the link Bassboy..

Beefer said:
Considering HDPE cuts as easily as wood, it seems you're paying a lot for some simple cuts. Get some Staboard and cut it yourself. You'll find a use for what's left over. Only problem with HDPE is nothing sticks to it, even 5200. There is a product out by the makers of Marine-Tex that is a 'glue', and you can also plastic weld it. Otherwise is some great stuff!

I'm not gonna pay for a whole sheet when all I want is a $20 block. I'm not trying to glue it to anything, just seal the back of it. Good silicone is all that is needed.

Frogman Ladue said:
Thanks for the link Bassboy..

Beefer said:

I'm not gonna pay for a whole sheet when all I want is a $20 block. I'm not trying to glue it to anything, just seal the back of it. Good silicone is all that is needed.

I totally understand that! I needed a small 4"x4" piece a couple of year ago, and what I did was I contacted a place that made cutting boards and other stuff out of HDPE, and they sent me a scrap off their floor that I cut down to the size I needed. I've spent a number of hours looking for the company for you, but that was 2 years ago, and a different laptop.

You can try these guys www.marineplasticfab.com 800-806-6479. They are on another boating forum, and are always selling off scraps.

Latest posts