New guy/What is my boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nismoron

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Cliff and I live in Montgomery, AL. I generally fish the Alabama, Coosa, and Tallapoosa rivers, as well as Lake Jordan (impoundment of Coosa river). I pretty much fish freshwater to scratch my saltwater itch. My Saltwater Stopming grounds are Mexico Beach FL, St Joe Bay FL and Gulfport/Biloxi MS. While I was growing up, my dad had a 14ft flatbottom that he had covered the floor with candy bar sized blocks of foam (all form fitted) and carpeted with brown/black fleck astroturf. It was powered with a early to mid seventies slant cowl Johnson 9.9.

After my dad passed away when I was 12, I went many, many years with no boat. Then, at about 35, I went off the deep end and bought a Cobia offshore boat! Man I was hooked (so was everyone that I knew). I got laid off last year and had to sell it. :-( I missed boating so much that I spent $450 on a fiberglass Gheenoe with a `58 10hp Evinrude. It is great. It will go ANYWHERE as long as there is no wind. Any wind at all and the front passenger (my wife) get soaked!!! So a bigger boat was needed. Ah HAH! I need a 14-16ft Aluminum V-hull.... So the search began. Weeks upon weeks of Cragslist watching for every city withing a 2 hour drive... Then it popped up! 14ft V-hull with 15hp Johnson(needs swork) for $450!!! I met the guy halfway between our cities and chewed him down to $400. Got it home and about 10 yanks later, the motor runs. He had a tank of bad gas) deal included that can as well, a $350 12 gallon fuel cell). It wanted to act like it was running out of gas, but I found that his "recently rebuilt" fuel pump was assembled incorrectly. Now runs like new money. I just have to get a recoil starter. You have to use the ol rope on the flywheel trick for now... Anyway, anyone have any idea what this thing is? The guy said that it was a 1960 (he thought) model...

Excuse the uglyness. I'm stripping it down for a complete overhaul and center seat/livewell mod. By the way, it has been dubbed the "Easter Egg" because I bought it right before Easter and it is Easter egg green. haha

DSC01466.jpg

DSC01470.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

the bow handle and the knee braces appear to be identical to those on my starcraft. how about a picture of the transom from the rear and the rear handles and/or transom caps?

That right thar is what we Alabamians refer to as a "beat up turd". :wink:

Could be an old Alumacraft, or a Starcraft... maybe a Lone Star, who knows?

Right now she's a "sinker" with no floatation foam, you may want to consider that while figuring your resto.

I see you really need to replace your transom, and that middle seat that is missing helps support your gunwales.

Show us how well you can polish up that ol' turd and make her shine!

I live a couple hours up the road from you in Talladega, right near the Speedway. I fish Logan Martin and Neely Henry on the Coosa river.

At least she's a floatin' turd! She is ugly, but solid! I was looking for function over form.
As for the missing middle seat... when I got it, it had all three seats and a platform attached to the bow that had a saltwater style pedestal seat on it!!! :shock:
All of the wood was REALLY old and rotted. None was safe to sit on. So I cut those two cyprus boads to put her in the water and check her out. you know, looks for leaks and see how she handles. Also to get my bearings on how I want to set it up.

In the rebuild, there will be a rear and center seat. The front seat will be removed and replaced with a small closed deck and shelf to store safety equipment. In the end, all of the key structural points will be there, and reinforced up to the guwales. There is no evidence that there ever was any before. No holes or rivets or anything of that sort.

Looks like a Mirrocraft to me also, I think if you take the wood off the transom, you might find the manufacturers plate below!

I am not even joking when I say that is the exact same model boat I have!

Everything is identical. But my tag in the back is unreadable. :(

I have been trying to find out what type of boat it is for quite some time but have never seen anything quite like it.

I'll be posting pictures of my build soon.

The bow eyelet, bow cap, corner caps on stern, and plug location are indicative of a mid 60's Appleby but cannot be certain

~RNP

That is a Starcraft seanymph. I have the exact same boat sitting in my shop. Back in the 60s Starcraft made boats for a lot of other companies like Montgomery wards ( which was the sealing) that is a very good boat but make sure you have a long enough fuel line to move the tank forward when your in the boat by your self.

So it is an Aluma-Mirro-Star Apple...

Yeah, I have already noiced the weight being needed in the front! It is fine with my wife and I (99.99999% of how it will run) do fine. But my best friend/motor mechanic as been taking the boat by himself (while my wife and I fish from our other boat) to work on 2 of my other outboards.Te boat rides at about a 45 degree angle with just him... At first we were scared he was going to hit us, because all we could see was bow as he approached us!!! hahaha

Latest posts