Valco floor mod question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
I have a basic question...
Is there a way to modify the Valco 14 footer pictured below so that I could walk and stand while on the water?
I have seen the various mods on this board...but what specifically can I do to the floor, without taking out the seats??

Thanks

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/sirbeigealot/boat.jpg

Hey Sirbiegealot,
Were you wanting the floor at the height of the seats or just a flat surface to fish from at the floor level?

I think if you decked at the seat level the boat may be a bit tippy which is why I opted for the second option and put in a low deck at the floor height.

I used 1/2 inch plywood and supported the voids between it and the hull with 2"x"4" that were cut down to the specific depth so to speak. Hit it with 3 coats of spar varnish top and bottom. The next step I'm doing is putting carpet on it. The best part about it is I can remove it whenever I need to wash out the boat or to keep it out of the rain.

Take the boat out and stand on the seat of the bow. If it isn't too tippy you may be able to deck the whole thing!

Thanks Vermonster...
Like you I just want to build up the floor so that it is more stable for standing.

Did it work for you?
Are you able to stand?

sirbeigealot said:
Thanks Vermonster...
Like you I just want to build up the floor so that it is more stable for standing.

Did it work for you?
Are you able to stand?

I've tested the bare plywood and I'm able to stand no problem.

I haven't gotten the carpet on as I'm waiting for a free and dry weekend. I've had family in town that last couple weeks. I've always stood up though even when there wasn't a level floor. I've never been able to fish sitting down unless I was in a kayak. Back in my teens and twenties the guys that I used to go fishing with always stood up in canoes too. I don't think I would do that any more at least not with the guys I fish with now - they certainly lack the sea legs for me to trust them not to tip the canoe.

My main reason for decking the floor and adding carpet is to have my son out there with me when he's old enough. He's just about to turn 2, and I think in another year he will be ready (and hopefully the boat will be too) :)

Latest posts