Pipe rail support

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Bill

Reaction score
Some years ago in the Messing about in Boats magazine there was an article about 2 men who took a long voyage along the coast line in Nova Scotia, Canada, in a aluminum V-bottom fishing boat.

One of the modifications they made was a tiny removeable cabin at the bow. However, the other modification was a center support made of steel pipe so the helmsman could stand and operate the motor, and in addition provide support to anyone moving about on the boat.

I've tried to locate the article but so far haven't had any luck.

As I have gotten older I have lost some of my sense of balance, and the other day I got to thinking that maybe a support rail on my boat might be of some help. Here is a drawing showing what I might do someday.

Boat%20support002.jpg

The pipe rail would fit into two seat bases, and be easy to add or remove. It might extend more to the bow and stern.

What do you think? What problems do you thing such a structure would cause...besides causing a bump on the head now and again? :lol:

I'm hunkered down in my fox hole...let her rip!!! 8)

IF it was easy to remove (without tools) you would be able to get it out of the way for fishing. I would think by putting a larger piece of pipe on the vertical sides of the seats you could slip a smaller diameter pipe into it and it could just pull right out for storage. Drill a hole through both and insert a pin to prevent it from coming out accidentally. Myself, I would put it closer to the side, rather than in the middle. Maybe, one on each side and keep a plastic tarp in the boat for a small rain/sun shelter

flounderhead59 said:
IF it was easy to remove (without tools) you would be able to get it out of the way for fishing. I would think by putting a larger piece of pipe on the vertical sides of the seats you could slip a smaller diameter pipe into it and it could just pull right out for storage. Drill a hole through both and insert a pin to prevent it from coming out accidentally. Myself, I would put it closer to the side, rather than in the middle. Maybe, one on each side and keep a plastic tarp in the boat for a small rain/sun shelter

Thanks flounderhead59!

You have made some good suggestions. I can see that by having it closer to the side, the rail would be much more boater friendly! And, it would still keep me from falling overboard! :roll: :roll:

Waterwings said:
Closer to the side is a good idea, plus (depending on the pipe diameter maybe) you could place rod holders on the support pole(s) :wink:

Waterwings....Your always thinking! Old Bill will put up something fancy...watch! :D

Waterwings said:
:-k Probably why my hair keeps getting grayer, lol.

Your hair keeps getting grayer because you have how many kids in class? Kids will do it to you every time. Trust me on that, you should've seen me before and after being an RDC

flounderhead59 said:
Waterwings said:
:-k Probably why my hair keeps getting grayer, lol.

Your hair keeps getting grayer because you have how many kids in class? Kids will do it to you every time. Trust me on that, you should've seen me before and after being an RDC

Good point. Didn't have any gray hair when I started this job 12 yrs ago :shock:

Latest posts