How to mount pedestal base in wooden floor??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encoreman

Reaction score
Hi all, I tried searching and couldn't find what I need. I have a '78 Terry 1542 tin rig that I am redoing for some pond fishing. All the old plywood flooring and transom were rotten, I am replacing floors and front casting deck but for the rear I am not putting in a raised deck. My question is how can I mount the pedestal base to the 1/2" plywood floor? Should I cut a 3/4" square say 12X12 and screw or bolt this to the 1/2" and then mount the pedestal mount to it or?? I haven't installed the 1/2" floor as yet it is cut and will be painted by weekend. I just don't think the 1/2" is strong enough to mount the pedestal base The style pedestal I prefer is the type that has the hole in it for the 3/4" rod that attaches to seat. Thanks for all your ideas and help. Mac

I used 1/2 inch plywood for mine. Under that i made enough 2x4 framing to make the floor generally solid as can be. Then i took two layers of 3/4 inch by about square foot pieces and screwed that under where the bases were going. Then i drilled out holes and beveled them to just the right side that the bases required to fit flush with the floor.

With the 2x4 supports in the floor and especially the two thicknesses of 3/4 plywood under where the bases go, it is solid as can be. Should have taken better pics of it but you can sorta see how i disdmy floor in these pictures of my brother spray foaming it. Especially in the one picture you can see three bases for the pedestal bases. One on one side of the middle support and two on the other.

I will tell you the bases are stronger than the pedestal. Period.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334719889.410640.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334719889.410640.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 336
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334719907.379099.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334719907.379099.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 336
Once the floor is all done and carpeted is when we drilled the holes for the resessed bases to fit in. Worked perfect!

Juat make sure you measure everything so when the floor is done your drilling everything in the right place.

Oh one other thing. The bases i got have 6 mmounting holes. 3 on the inside of the boat we measured and screwed into the middle upright 2x4. The outside 2 are drilled into the two thicknesses of 3/4 inch plywood. Hope that helps

Latest posts