Painting questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooperj14

Reaction score
Hello tinboaters, at 20 years old my boat looks a little tired I want to clean/paint to make it shine again. How do i get it off the trailer to paint? I also want to paint the outboard...what do I need to cover up to keep paint out of. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 9.53.03 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 9.53.03 PM.png
    428.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 9.59.15 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 9.59.15 PM.png
    454.2 KB · Views: 221
Of course it will be easiest if you can get the motor offm but you can do it with it on the boat. You will need a floor jack and some blocks.

Lower trailer tongue to the ground. Block two rear corners of the hull securely. Jack up trailer tongue until stern corners are resting on the blocks above the trailer. Block keel in front of the axles so boat is balanced. Lower trailer tongue so boat sits on 3 sets of blocks. Pull trailer forward until axle or crossmember is near the keel block. Now this part is tedious, you have to jack up the actual keel about 1/2" until you can remove and move keel blocks going back with the blocks towards the transom, 3-4 times or so, and pulling forward the trailer about a foot or two at a time. Safety first, careful. Do it on firm flat ground if at all possible. Another pair of hands is huge help, even though it can be done solo.

Latest posts