Fisher 1438 mv - ideas needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catmansteve

Reaction score
First off, just joined and wow, this forum is such a great resource! It's helped me so much on my first boat mod.

I just bought this boat last week, was actually looking at the motor for my other boat. The hull has two fairly deep scratches on either side, the guy I bought it from said he did it loading it on the trailer and thought he ruined the boat. Well long story short, I walked away with everything you see in the pictures for $700. Deal of the year? I'd like to think so!
IMAG0088 (640x368).jpg
IMAG0089 (640x431).jpg
IMAG0090 (640x382).jpg
Took it home, slid it off in the pond. Motor fired right up, ran great. In about three hrs it took on 2" of water. Turns out the scratches weren't leaking, it had a few leaky rivets and one small (1") crack going across the center strake halfway up the bow, so needless to say,I was pleased!

Questions - The capacity plate is missing from the transom, and I can't find the information online. If anyone would happen to have the same boat or know where I could find the rating, I'd appreciate it. My best guess, and the USCG formula confirms, it should be a 20hp or 25hp max.

I need to make some sort of standoff to mount my bow trolling motor on, the front deck is not flush with the gunwhale, and was trying to come up with something solid but easily removeable since I have two boats and one TM, that way it isn't a royal pain to switch it between the two.

Also, I need ideas for a passenger seat while running, as I think it would be a little scary to ride on the front deck :LOL2: I have 4 flush mount pedestal bases, but I don't think they'll work in the false floor in the middle since the stem sticks down so far. Thought about putting a large livewell on the floor towards the front, leaving legroom between it and the start of the deck, and putting a base in the lid. Thoughts?

Last, anyone who is familiar with older OMC motors probably already knows, the 'Rude 18 has the goofy 18" shaft length and the transom is only 17". I wouldn't worry about it if it wasn't for the fact that I spend 90% of my time in shallow, rocky rivers. I was thinking of making a short transom riser, 2-4", and was wondering how high I can raise the motor before I start having cavitation/handling issues. I'll have to get a straightedge, but I would guess the motor cavitation plate is 1-2" below the center strake now. Eventually I want a jet, but financially it just isn't going to happen for at least several months, so I want to make due the best I can for now and use the heck out of it this summer!

Thanks for any and all responses, and I'm glad to be here!

Nice score.

I think I'd make the person sit up front :LOL2:

You could aways put a fodling chair in the middle 8)

Brine said:
Nice score.

I think I'd make the person sit up front :LOL2:

You could aways put a fodling chair in the middle 8)
I could always give him a helmet and put some grab bars on either side, or maybe a lap bar like a roller coaster :LOL2:
Love your build btw, if I ever decide to rip the carpet and aluminum roll-flashing decking out of this one I'll probably use a similar material for my decks

Nice rig man, it moves pretty good with that 18hp I'm sure, I was writing to talk about the jackplate you asked about. I bought one from bass pro for $75 bucks delievered to my house which was with a $15 dollar delievery fee, I couldn't fab one up for that to the quality that this was made up. Just a thought.

As always tight lines, cold beer, and Go Gators!

Gators5220 said:
Nice rig man, it moves pretty good with that 18hp I'm sure, I was writing to talk about the jackplate you asked about. I bought one from bass pro for $75 bucks delievered to my house which was with a $15 dollar delievery fee, I couldn't fab one up for that to the quality that this was made up. Just a thought.

As always tight lines, cold beer, and Go Gators!
Thanks gators. Yeah, she moves pretty good, 24mph by myself with the boat empty. I've actually decided against raising the motor now, but what I did was make two plates about 10" by 16" out of 1/8" aluminum, drill a series of holes to match the bolts in my transom, and cut a couple different size blocks of wood of different heights to fill in between the plates. But, after trying heights of 1/2", 1", 2", and 3" I've found it runs best at 1/2", so I took the plates off and just used a block of wood laid across the top of the transom for a shim

Latest posts