Cutting 1" round hole?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Reaction score
I'm hesitant to take a saw to the side of the hull (for bilge pump outlet) and I can't locate a punch yet. I think the best solution would be a good ol' Greenlee punch. Ideas? Will a saw tear it up?

Thanks!

Steve

A hole saw should work. Im not sure if they make them 1" ? I think they come in 1 1/8". Lowes or Home depot carry them

You can drill a small pilot hole 1/8" first before you use the hole saw. Spray wd-40 on the blade and drill away. When cutting metal faster is not always better.

I have used the flat bore bits after drilling a small pilot hole. Just have to come in perpendicular to the work. Usually adjust as the outer teeth start touching the aluminum. Made numerous alum washers this way. ;)

Thanks! I only have Forstner bits up to 3/4" but that's an interesting idea! Greenlee is at least $30, even on eBay. Looks like a Lowes trip is in order!

Steve

JamesM56alum said:
Spade bit's will work just predrill a hole for the tip of the bit to go into, otherwise just get a hole saw it's best. That's how i drilled the hole for my drain plug.

Spade bit, that was the word I was looking for.

Cut the hole for my bilge pump outlet with a 1 1/8" hole saw with no problem without any kind of lubricant.

cut a hole with a 7/8" hole saw, after drilling a pilot hole. then filed it larger to fit the bilge pump outlet fitting. think a 1" would have been perfect, but didn't have one.
the instructions for this perticular fitting called for a 1 1/16" hole.
this was the ONLY hole I drilled in the boat, and was sort of reluctant to do it, but lots of boats come from the factory with this already in place.

If it is for a bilge pump outlet...why not just put the hose over the transom? If you are worried about the additional head pressure ( I don't think you should be)...buy a bigger pump.

I cannot remember the size of the pump that I have on my Caro Skiff in Wisconsin, but the boat sits out in the rain four months of the year floating in the water. The automatic bilge pump goes on ( with a float switch) and pumps her down to 1/4 inch at least once a week. I manually flip the pump on with a rod tip before I jump into the boat. That gets rid of the 1/4 left over.

The bilge pump sits in a small "well" and so does the float switch.

That hose is hung over the transom.

No holes in a boat that are not truly necessary...that is my motto.

regards, rich

i cut my brand new g3 for a bilge thru hull fitting with a holesaw. it cuts thru in milliseconds no problem. didnt need lube. the hull is very thin.

SteveF - I am not a big fan of making more holes than necessary, not sure what type of boat you have but take a look at my build, in my signature, scroll down toward the bottom and you can see where I mounted my outlet. If you have a similar set of corner caps, you could do the same. I used a hole saw for my cut - Good Luck!

Thanks everyone!! Excellent ideas. Lol, my spade bits are so old they don't have the upturned edge tips so that's out. I might just try that Harbor Freight kit. I've usually been unhappy with their stuff but occasionally get a pleasant surprise! Will report back when I try something.

Steve

Just use a step drill bit. Much better hole than a Hole Saw.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html

be sure when you grab that 1" knockout punch to make a 1" hole, your realizing it is for pipe, and its gonna leave a hole bout 1.25. I wouldnt buy that knockout set if it was given to me myself. Id go for the step drill first, and the hole saw second myself.

Latest posts