Starcraft mod question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckpunk

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been lurking around the site for awhile now, soaking up info and ideas while I completed a 12ft alum restore. Now that the project is done and I've convinced the g/f that the boat is too small I've begun looking for something else. Previously I had a Fisher SVT16, deep V, walk through winshield, 60hp merc, etc.. Im looking for similar and have recently found a Starcraft Superfisherman 170 that is almost identical. My problem is I do not like the stern "casting deck" they put on these boats. I would prefer having the level floor all the way back to the transom, or at least the splash well. The Starcraft has a "live well" under one side of the deck and the battery box under the other. So my question I guess is has anyone removed one of these before? And how much work is involved? I know there would be room to close off the stern at the splash well and conceal the batteries under there, and the boat has 2 other "live wells" under the bow so losing that isnt a big deal. My fisher had no floatation under its rear deck so I imagine this one doesnt either. However, I never considered doing this mod so I didnt look closely at how it was constructed. And since the boat I'm looking at will be in need of carpet soon, matching the new floor isnt a concern either.

My other concern is the motor on the Starcraft. Its a 60hp Mariner, virtually identical to my old 60hp merc which I always felt was a bit under powered once I loaded it with gear and a fishing buddy. The boats rated for 115hp max. Does a 60hp seem a bit under sized for this boat?

thanks in advance

~RNP

Well if the boat can handle 115 and you only have 60 on it then yes it is way under powered. You should at minimum have 75-80% of the HP rating. That would mean there should be at least a 90hp motor on that boat and I wouldn't go any less than 100 personally. I would probably have a 125 on it lol.....

Oh and welcome to the site :)

The rear deck mod shouldn't be a problem, I believe everyone that buys a used boat should take it apart and fix everything that's wrong with before they use it anyway. This way they already know how it comes apart and goes back together should problems arise in the future.

I'd leave the motor alone, with the way gas prices are going it'll only save you money. You may not be the fastest boat on the lake, but you won't be the slowest either.

If you get more than 2 people in that boat you will be really disappointed with the performance of the 60hp on that boat, it will be a dog. Trust me when I say it needs a 90hp minimum. A 90hp will allow you to plane the boat at a far less RPM and a 60hp you will be running WOT all the time so you will not save on gas really, not to mention you will be underpowered with extra people in the boat.

Meh, I have a 17' Tracker Pro Deep V that's rated for a 90, but I have a 4 stroke 50 on it and it does fine for me. I get about 33 mph on the GPS. I'm not the fastest boat on the lake, but not the slowest either.

I'd use the boat as is and if it doesn't perform like you want keep an eye on Craigslist for a bigger one, the sell the one that's on it after you install the bigger one to make the bigger motor cheaper.

Some folks feel like they have to run up and down the river as fast as they can while their motor sucks down the gas... I'm not one of those people.

I could not imagine this boat with a 60hp motor on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSUHHIBKSSs Not only would the higher HP give you better top end but if you want to cruise at say 30mph then you can run the boat at probably 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and get better mpg than running a 60 wide open all the time to hit 25-30.

I get what your saying jigngrub and your setup probably works great for you but I have seen this a lot where people buy a boat expecting it to be powered properly and it isn't. Then they will ask "why is my $10,000 boat only going 26mph?"

That boat is way underpowered and there is no if, ands, or buts about it.

Thanks for the advise guys. My g/f really liked the boat but I think I've convinced her we should pass on this one. As most of you have stated its def under powered. Also, after taking a look at the boat in person and checking out nadaguides pricing the seller isnt willing to come down enough to make it worth the investment. It needs a lot more TLC than described, which I dont have a problem doing, but not at this price. Not to mention, I'd prefer an 18-20ft if I can find one.

~RNP

Right now isn't the time to buy a boat anyway, it's the sellers market and you'll pay top dollar for everything.

Wait 'til late fall or winter when it's the buyers market and everything will be on sale, especially just before and right after christmas.

Latest posts