New guy with some Smokercraft ?'s

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cade

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1993 Smokercraft 1644- 16', 25hp Mercury, console steer with front and rear decks. My questions- 1.) There is a small, adjustable "fin" that comes down behind the prop that can be swiveled with the adjustment of a bolt on the lower unit. What is this?

2.) I've searched the web for anyone else with a boat like this but can find none. Was this not a popular boat or are they just rare. I'll post pics when I learn how.

Thanks

is it one of these?

https://www.basspro.com/Doel-fin-Hydrofoil-Stabilizer/product/27337/88162?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

It's not a hydrofoil, just a steel fin that can be adjusted to swivel to either side of the prop. I'm assuming it's to correct any pulling the motor may try when in gear. if I can find a google pic I'll post it.

The Yamaha on my old boat had the same thing. It was the lower zinc anode that also doubled as a trim tab to correct the torque steer created by the prop spinning.

Nismoron said:
The Yamaha on my old boat had the same thing. It was the lower zinc anode that also doubled as a trim tab to correct the torque steer created by the prop spinning.

+1 common on outboards and I/o's that have enough power to create torque steer, and don't have power steering. Common to double as anode, as well.

Yes, it is the trim tab/anode and you don't really want to futz around with it after it has been "set". If you ever have to remove it make a mark on the tab and foot of the motor that line up before removing it so it can be installed in the same position. Getting set correctly can be a bit of a PITA if you don't have marks to go by.