Hello, and thoughts on this boat? =)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zif

Reaction score
I just sold a 25' Searay and am looking to venture into the land of aluminum :D

What do ya'll think of the below boat? The engine is a 1969 20HP Johnson - I'm a bit worried about that; how many more years of use can I realistically expect out of it?

I will be using the boat in mostly close shore fishing in the tampa bay area, so I do like the v hull on this boat. I'm a bit afraid of getting a flat bottom boat for ocean use.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/2958257083.html

Thanks everyone! :D

Looks nice. As far as the price/value, I'm new to the whole aluminum boat thing as well, so no real help there.

What I can tell you is I have a 1959 Johnson 10hp, and it's built like a tank. Still runs, starts within 5 pulls (still working on that), and parts are still readily available for the old Johnnys.

Not sure if that's really enough hp for that boat for TB, looks like it might be on the heavy side. I'm sure you're aware of this, but on a day like yesterday, or even today, I wouldn't be taking that too far out on the bay. Where abouts are you? I'm in Treasure Island.

I'm sure you'll get better responses from the gurus on here about your concerns.

Welcome to tinboats. Ok I really like the boat. Mirrorcrafts are good solid boats IMO. My neighbor has one that I will be doing a floor mod on this summer and it is a very well built tin. As for the motor there leaves a lot to be desired. That is the 22 cubic inch block 20-35hp engine, small compared to the 31.8 cubic inch blocks of 74' and later. It does not look in good condition at all and it is at best putting out about 17hp in that year. The only positive that motor really has is it was probably lightest 20 hp motor ever made. Beyond that there is not much positive about that motor : (

I also noticed the back cowling (engine cover) of that motor is split in two, it may have been backed into a seawall or tree? [-X Motor has a value of maybe 100 bucks for parts IMO and that is being optimistic.

If the motor runs well and it is just you in the boat expect to do about 20mph maybe? The post 85' 20hp johnys will get you around 25mph just to give you a comparison.

Welcome Zif, I cant see the ad so I hope you bought her. I have a 14 deep V Mirrorcraft that I absolutely love. I have been all over Tampa Bay, South Boca Ciega bay up to Clearwater in my boat. It rides nice in a heavy chop, dry, and somewhat fast with my 25. I decided to re-do my whole boat because I love how the hull rides. I can run in a foot of water anywhere I want and it poles real easy. No matter what you decide I recommend you get a V style hull for our area. Flatties are good but on the ICW they will beat you to death. Just my opinion though.

:WELCOME:

Someone decided things for me and bought it :p

Oh well, I wasn't really keen on that engine anyhoos... thanks for the replies and tips - very helpful!!

@Beefer - I am in Safety Harbor. But I plan to range around as much of the bay as I can. I just need to find a sweet ~16' vhull with a decent motor... #-o

Hey Zif, if ya want to see a kick butt 16 look at fool4fish1226 project "a little snookered. He went off on his mod.....if I can get mine to half of what he did I will be happy. Look at all the completed mod's it will make your head spin. When I am done I want to hook up with all the close members and get some fish on. Good luck on your search, I am already thinking about a 16 to 20 for my next mod......I love this site, but it is going to break me..... :?

Zif said:
The engine is a 1969 20HP Johnson - I'm a bit worried about that; how many more years of use can I realistically expect out of it?

Zif

I have a 1966 Johnson 20 HP. Seems to run just fine, the link for the motor is below. This year I changed the water pump and rebuilt the carb, easier than I thought it would be.

Although your not getting it, just for the info i have a 69 and a 75 johnson both 25 hp. 69 is now just a parts motor but till last year it ran great. 1975 is running like a champ. Cant go wrong with either. 1969 just had a few issues that probably could have been fixed but found the 75 and just decided to use it

My 70's Johnson runs like a champ - it hadn't been run in three years and yet it started on the second or third pull...I wouldn't hesitate to get another older Johnson.

My three outboards all run like new money!
1958 Evinrude 10
1961 Evinrude 6
1976 Johnson 15 runs great, but needs foot rebuilt (Just bought this one, starting to fix her up)

Its all in how they were taken care of and how willing you are to work on it. Some people only want brand new motors every few years. You couldn't give me one. Well, ok you could give me one, but i wouldn't buy one...