Need Help-Middle Bench Seat Removal (riveted to floor)?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
Hello Gang
Got a new boat project that I am currently working on (14' Meyers Semi-V, wide flat bottom). Hopefully when I feel I've made enough significant headway, I'll post pics. Anyway, I want/like to remove the middle bench seat (which, like the other 2, runs straight down to the floor & is riveted there as well as to the sides of the boat). I'd like to install a side steering console. Btw, the side console I recently purchased from Craigslist & it came with the steering wheel & cable. It came off a 14ft StarCraft aluminum boat (only paid $25.00 for it-gotta love CL!) so there is only so much steering cable to work with. Anyway, does anyone have any practical solutions/advise or perhaps links here as to how others here have overcome this problem? EDIT: Also another reason is, if possible I'd love to have an open floored spaced between the bow & stern casting decks
Thanks in advance.

boatpics3007.jpg

Removing your boats middle bench isn't a good idea, it's part of your boats structural support and supports the sides of your boat. It also contains a large amount of your boats very important floatation foam.

A better Idea would be to mount the console in front of the middle bench and purchase a longer cable, they do come in different lengths.

jigngrub said:
Removing your boats middle bench isn't a good idea, it's part of your boats structural support and supports the sides of your boat. It also contains a large amount of your boats very important floatation foam.

A better Idea would be to mount the console in front of the middle bench and purchase a longer cable, they do come in different lengths.

Thanks. I have already thought of that BUT, those steering cables aren't cheap! :( I thought maybe, since we have alot of ingenuity coursing through this place :idea: , that perhaps someone had come up with a unique solution to this particular problem. Plus, I wanted the middle section open if possible (with added flooring) since the bow & stern areas will have decking, base plates & storage areas, live well etc..

Bloodstone

I've seen a few mods on this site where a good portion of the middle bench is removed by cutting out the middle part (see attached pic). Should maintain some structural integrity.

FYI, I grew up in MI and was probably just as excited when Engler left :LOL2:

Attachments

• boatpics3007.jpg
    boatpics3007.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,768
Ictalurus said:
Bloodstone

I've seen a few mods on this site where a good portion of the middle bench is removed by cutting out the middle part (see attached pic). Should maintain some structural integrity.

FYI, I grew up in MI and was probably just as excited when Engler left :LOL2:

Any idea whose projects they were (names of members who actually did this)? And I take it from your diagram, you'd leave the riveted part on the floor alone & somehow work around it?

Btw, that's nothing about Engler, wait till Obama is shown the door in November, I'll be doing an Irish Jig in my underwear on the roof of my house. :lol:

I found one, Bufford did the type of cutout I was speaking of on his 12'. The floor was then mounted on top of the cutout seat.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9912&hilit=bufford

You're going to have to wait 'till 2016 for that jig :LOL2:

Ictalurus said:
I found one, Bufford did the type of cutout I was speaking of on his 12'. The floor was then mounted on top of the cutout seat.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9912&hilit=bufford

You're going to have to wait 'till 2016 for that jig :LOL2:

Thanks! I'll look it over. :beer:

Btw IF Mr. No Hope & Little Change Left is re-elected, by 2016 we'll have to sell our boats just to buy canned dog food to feed our families. ](*,)

BloodStone said:
FuzzyGrub said:
Looks like you will need to add a cross rib if you remove that seat.

Is that what you did with your semi-V mod? I looked at the pics & saw the seats removed but not how you did/installed the cross rib (if at all).... :-k

Seats were not rivited to the floor in my mod-v. Just to the sides. I have cross ribs about every 14" on center. The sides will be tied to the decks and should be near as strong as original.

PS: Previous owner cut out the seats. Left the rivits it. It was a very flush cut with a smooth edge. Don't know how he did it.

I would do what ictulus said. Cut it out and leave the riveted part riveted. To regain the support to the sides, use 1 1/2 x 1/8 thick angle aluminum. Here is how i did. It is as solid or better than it was.

And yes if you take out a bench make sure to add the same or more foam as you take out.

Here are my supports

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334964202.489355.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334964202.489355.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 1,735
Dman23 said:
I would do what ictulus said. Cut it out and leave the riveted part riveted. To regain the support to the sides, use 1 1/2 x 1/8 thick angle aluminum. Here is how i did. It is as solid or better than it was.
And yes if you take out a bench make sure to add the same or more foam as you take out.
Here are my supports

Thanks! I think what I decided to do is; cut the bench seat almost entirely out BUT, leave 1.5" of "lip" all the way around (aka sides & floor-riveted part left alone). Then possibly use a combo of 2x2's & tube or angle aluminum attached to that "lip" left over from the bench. So when it's done, I will have 2 new "ribs running across the floor (I.e from where the front part & back part of that bench seat was) & then up the sides. And then I will put 1.5" of Styrofoam on the floors & the sides & then box it with 1/2" plywood so that just the main section (where side console is) is floored & walled in (boxed in)

Latest posts