Transom Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evergreen

Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently purchased a 1999 Suzuki 25hp 4 stroke (but mint, less than 10 hrs on it), and have a few questions.
I have a 2003 Alumacraft V14 and the transom is about 2" thick. I am thinking about putting a 2x6 on the inside of boat to help disperse the weight some. I would need to bolt/screw it through, correct? Or do you think i should even bother?
Thanks guys.
The boat is rated to 25HP

If the boat is rated for 25Hp and the transom is sound, it shouldn't really need reinforcing. If it is an older hull (when motors were rated at the flywheel instead of the hub, you may want to reinforce it slightly (couldn't hurt, could it! :wink: ) I am about to get a late 90's 25hp Yamaha if everything works out on the deal. My hull is rated for 30hp, but is a 1971 hull, so the 25 in a newer motor would be tops for it. My transom newly rebuilt, 1 1/2" thick and is made from 2 layers of 3/4" exterior ply, same thickness as the original transom. I do not believe it will need any reinforcement.

I wouldn't worry about it, the transom is rated for the 25hp anyways. On second thought I think putting a thin board across a transom could do more harm than good with the twisting motion it will want to do.

Just my 2¢.

Ok, thanks. And also, i bought a transom saver for when I'm trailering. My question is should i travel with my motor up, down, or half way? And should the transom saver be lifting the engine up slightly or just touching it so it doesn't bounce so bad? Thanks.

Oh, and my engine says i should do up the 'hand screw' things, and put 2 bolts through my boat. Is this nessecary? I don't wanna really drill a hole through her.

It can't hurt to bolt it on, and it might make it harder to steal. My 25hp 4stroke Merc is getting bolted on, besides the clamps, with 1/2" bolts, heavy fender washers, lock washers and nylock nuts all of s.s. I then used 3M 4200 sealant to fill the bolt holes before installation and under the washers as well. I saw a 15hp jump off the back of a pontoon one day, funniest thing I ever saw, just hangin there by the cables.. #-o Just saying it's cheap insurance. My $0.02 worth.

It is still safe if you don't bolt it on correct? This fall i will be taking my motor off and purchasing a 16' most likely, so i would rather not have to drill unnecessary holes haha.

If you are not going to bolt it on, be sure to use a safety cable or chain secured to the transom brace(s) so if it does come loose, it won't fall overboard.

My little JohnnyRude has clamps on the top and then two bolts about 4" down. I can't imagine trusting just the two clamps on anything bigger than a trolling motor, especially since there is supposed to be bolts in it. I wouldn't stress to much about the holes, they are small easily sealed with a little 5200 and above the waterline.

novaman said:
It can't hurt to bolt it on, and it might make it harder to steal. My 25hp 4stroke Merc is getting bolted on, besides the clamps, with 1/2" bolts, heavy fender washers, lock washers and nylock nuts all of s.s. I then used 3M 4200 sealant to fill the bolt holes before installation and under the washers as well. I saw a 15hp jump off the back of a pontoon one day, funniest thing I ever saw, just hangin there by the cables.. #-o Just saying it's cheap insurance. My $0.02 worth.

I couldn't agree more! I have mine bolted on exactly as novaman does. I saw the same thing happen when I was a kid...my dad's 10 HP Johnson "jumped" off the back of our jon boat! Luckily, he had a safety cable attached, but we still had to row back!