Trailer Winch Hook and replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdog2594

Reaction score
I wanted to replace my trailer winch as the spring holding the little switch is gone and the rope used is a little frayed. I didn't notice until I went to replace it that the hook is so large it barely fit on the piece it attaches tot he boat on. So no way the safety chain won't connect either. Is there a way for me to fix this? I am finding in looking around, all winches have that heavier hook. Can I cut the current rope and reattach it? Is there any easy, strong way to do this?

I had sort of the same problem. The old winch had a clip like on an anchor rope and the new one had the heavy hook. at fist I cut the clip off and used it to hook to the boat and the heavy hook on the strap. Then I figuged out how to hook it without the clip....

But I would guess you should be able to use a clip or something attached to your bow eye that the new hook can get ahold of.

Well, you could add the appropriate sized chain link connector https://catalog.kmsinc.net/viewitems/quick-links/style-7350?
to your boat...and then hook the new winch hook into it. However, it may rattle around and bang into the boat all of the time, unless you remove it every launch, which I think would be a PIA.

Or, you could just buy a replacement spring at a hardware store and a new matching rope. Then repair your present winch. Use the original hook that was working fine. Don't buy a stretchy rope.

regards, Rich

Latest posts