wich is wich?????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
can ANYBODY give me some input on what makes a V a V, a mod V a mod V, a semi V a semiV? i know a jon boat is a green flat bottom but ive heard someone say this boat is a mod V and other people say its a v or a semi V etc.....

V usually have a V bottom all the way to the back...A semi-V flattens as it goes back.

As far as Mod V its a Jon boat (flat) style with a V front.

You would have to search to see if there are any official designations, but here is mine:

Look at the bottom of the boat at the transom, it will be flat, or some shape of a V. (sorry not tri-hulls or cats, ;)) A very shallow V is considered a Modified V (mod v). As the V gets steeper, it becomes a "normal" V, and even steeper a "deep" V. At what angle do these switch, can be subjective, and/or varies by mfg. Look at the cross section from bow to stearn.

semi-v: looks like a v hull in the bow, but quickly tappers to a flat style bottom.

Jon boat: flat bottom boat from bow to stearn.

mod v jon boat: A slight point and a shallow v from bow to stearn, but still has the shape of a jon boat.

Semi_Vee 16DSV.jpgJon Boat-flat.jpgJon Boat-Mod-Vee.jpg
Here's some examples. A true v-hull looks a lot like the semi-v, but the v bottom goes all the way to the transom.

It looks like some jon boat mfg say mod v for having a pointy bow but taper quickly to flat bottom. I would have called that a semi-v jon. :D

FuzzyGrub said:
It looks like some jon boat mfg say mod v for having a pointy bow but taper quickly to flat bottom. I would have called that a semi-v jon. :D
and that would be confusing, so that's why they call it a mod-v :mrgreen:

acabtp said:
FuzzyGrub said:
and that would be confusing, so that's why they call it a mod-v :mrgreen:

So what should they call one like mine, that has a v all the way to the transom? A "real" mod v jon? :D

PS: The pic above appears to be a "real" one. The v goes at least to the rear bench. Many brands I've seen do go to the transom.

Latest posts