Butt Joint Glue?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
Using some plywood panel (acx) for part of my build. I have some butt joints that will use angle alum for main support. The panels will be primed seperatly, prior to assembly with spar urathane. Should I use a glue on the joint as well? If so, what type would be best given the spar urathane? Polyurathane glue? When I used that before for indoor projects, had to slightly dampen the wood to get a good bite. With the spar urathane, would it hold?

Use Tite Bond III before you coat the wood in anything. A scarf joint would be the strongest.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Use Tite Bond III before you coat the wood in anything. A scarf joint would be the strongest.

I really want to prime the individual pieces, and then assemble. The alum L will provide most of the strength, and the extra strength of the glue is just gravy. The poly glue will hold other types of non-porous materials, so thought it would work on the spar urathane coated edges.

https://www.pro.woodworker.com/fran...ne-glue-mssu-153-167.asp?search=&searchmode=2

My approach was to coat the plywood pieces, top, bottom, and sides with Evercoat resin before assembly. If you used this instead of polyurethane, you could use fiberglass tape and more resin on the butt joints. I didn't have any butt joints on this boat but have had on other boat projects. They are very strong when taped and resin rolled.

FuzzyGrub said:
Using some plywood panel (acx) for part of my build. I have some butt joints that will use angle alum for main support. The panels will be primed seperatly, prior to assembly with spar urathane. Should I use a glue on the joint as well? If so, what type would be best given the spar urathane? Polyurathane glue? When I used that before for indoor projects, had to slightly dampen the wood to get a good bite. With the spar urathane, would it hold?

It would help a lot if you would post pics of what you're working on when asking for this kind of advice instead of us having to try to guess what you're working on and having to play "20 Questions".

Are these joints vertical or horizontal? Will they be exposed or will they be covered or hidden? Do you need to seal them so they won't leak, or is it ok if they leak?

jigngrub said:
FuzzyGrub said:

It would help a lot if you would post pics of what you're working on when asking for this kind of advice instead of us having to try to guess what you're working on and having to play "20 Questions".

Are these joints vertical or horizontal? Will they be exposed or will they be covered or hidden? Do you need to seal them so they won't leak, or is it ok if they leak?

They are just verticle butt joints of 1/2" or 5/8" ACX plywood. Four are approx 13" in length, and corner exposed but covered by angle aluminum. Another four are about 5-6" and are inside the box. None have to be water tight, and infact will have drainage holes to not trap any water in the compartment.

Latest posts