I need to know what boat to buy?!?!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River-Rat

Reaction score
I need a boat to catfish out of on the Tennessee River. I'm on a tight budget so i need to know if a 1448 or a 1542 would be a safe boat to be on the Tennessee with and be safe? Which would better suit my needs? I Have a 1436 now and its just not wide enough to for me to be safe on the river with. Thanks for any suggestions and/or comments.

I guess it depends where on the Tennessee you will be fishing. I've been on that water around Wjeeler and Decatur AL and have seen it get pretty big out there... :shock:

As aleady stated, bigger is better for rough water...

I'll be mostly around Perryville and New Johnsonville. Would it be better to have the little shorter boat thats wider, or the 1542 that gives a little more lengthwise but not as wide? If the right deal comes along on something bigger along I'll grab it up though. lol

I would think that wider would give you more stability than length. Might want to go with a 48 or 52 in width.

Id rather have a 1448 than a 1542. Especially if you have a 1436 and it's not wide enough. check this place out.

https://www.backwoodslanding.com/14ft.html

River-Rat said:
I need a boat to catfish out of on the Tennessee River. I'm on a tight budget so i need to know if a 1448 or a 1542 would be a safe boat to be on the Tennessee with and be safe? Which would better suit my needs? I Have a 1436 now and its just not wide enough to for me to be safe on the river with. Thanks for any suggestions and/or comments.

Somewhere in the forum, I read about home-made outriggers which seemed to be a great idea for rough waters. Worth a look, and a lot cheaper than a new boat.

Found it! Pictures on third post from the bottom of page 1.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23885&p=244100&hilit=outrigger#p244100

Also construction details.

Good luck. Be safe.

Ill take a look at the outriggers. Not a bad idea. The toon.. Idk I'll have to look at wat they cost for a small one. They hold value good so findin one that dont break the bank might be hard. It would be nice though. Ill do some lookin for a small toon. 16-18' maybe? I dont know wat would be better. I fish in some pretty tight spots too sometimes that a toon just would'nt fit. I guess I'll just get the biggest boat i can afford, and go catch some fish out of it.