YOU MUST READ!!!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
a buddy of mine showed me this product that is a godsend for us!

devcon aluminum putty...he had a 2inch x 6 inch chunk of his cavitation plate that broke off and he used this to build it back up in stages( 4-5 i think he said, 16 hour cure time) so i went to take a peak and i swore up and down there was nothing ever missing off his plate, he showed me pictures of before, and during the process. i asked him is its like jb weld and he just laughed and handed me a hammer and told me to hit it and i looked at him like he was nuts and said im not hitting that, so he took the hammer and began to hit the top of the plate about 4 or 5 times and looked at me and smiled and hit it again really hard! like hard enough to to put a dent in the side of a car and the only thing it did was chip the paint, oh yeah its sandable and paintable. the most amazing stuff ive ever seen and thought of a million applications for it that us guys could use it for, heres a little tech data i found online.

adhesive tensile shear 2,600 psi

compresive strength 8,420 psi

flexural strength 6,760 psi

i cant beleive ive never seen it mentioned here so i figured it was a command from god to share it.......

I had a guy just the other day tell me he had a 40 hp and busted the entire skeg off on a rock. Said he took something very similar to what you're talking about and built it up a layer at a time, then grinder it down smooth. Said when he was done you couldn't tell it from the old one. Pretty amazing stuff

https://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?brand=Devcon&family=Aluminum%20Putty%20(F) Sounds awesome but only comes in 1lb and 3lb quantities and appears to be kinda pricy but I'd say it definitely serves its purpose

for sure worth it! if you saw my buddy smack that plate with that hammer you would have been baffled like i was, could not have repaired it better or easier any other way that i can think of maybe besides welding a peice on and building it up so you can sand/grind it to shape. and i weld for a living and would use the devcon over tigging it up......if someone asked me to repair that through welding/fabricating (and it was not a freind) id charge more than what a guy could get a 1lb tub of devcon for and get it without a doubt....

Sounds like some really good stuff.

I read the specs on their website, it sounds like it's as good as the "Ce-Ram-Grout" 2 part ceramic grout often used to patch bad corrosion on aluminum boats when the corrosion is too extensively spread for welding.

I've run into a couple of boats that were too corroded for welding, and I didn't know about the ceramic grout at the time, nor did I know about this devcon product.

I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind for anything like this in the future.

PSG-1 said:
Sounds like some really good stuff.

I read the specs on their website, it sounds like it's as good as the "Ce-Ram-Grout" 2 part ceramic grout often used to patch bad corrosion on aluminum boats when the corrosion is too extensively spread for welding.

I've run into a couple of boats that were too corroded for welding, and I didn't know about the ceramic grout at the time, nor did I know about this devcon product.

I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind for anything like this in the future.

just read about the ce-ram-grout and it said its hazardas to use, if you dont use the proper ppe.

shawnfish said:
just read about the ce-ram-grout and it said its hazardas to use, if you dont use the proper ppe.

Lovely. Because, I didn't wear any protective gear when I grouted the corroded center strake of my Triton this past winter. Guess I can add this one to the list of toxins and dangerous chemicals I've exposed myself to over the years.

Anyhow, I didn't know about the ceram-grout being hazardous....because, I got some left-over ceram-grout from a local boat repair guy, and the only thing he warned me about was that once the ceram-grout cures, you aren't going to be sanding it, you have to grind it, so, you want to fair it down as good as possible.

I didn't notice when I was reading, but how is the Devcon aluminum putty as far as health risk, etc?

PSG-1 said:
I didn't notice when I was reading, but how is the Devcon aluminum putty as far as health risk, etc?

Seems pretty tame. Health risks can be found here:

https://www.actiocms.com/VIEW_MSDS/view_language_kits2.cfm?edit_msds_id=3499&dbname=production&language=1&format=1&CFID=5862654&CFTOKEN=70c89a3500a662b8-21C03E0E-FFD9-A223-8AE31CBDAED02CE0

Devcon is very good stuff and is widely used in the aerospace industry to make repairs on commercial and military aircraft. Had it come in a smaller more affordable size, I would have used it on my boat rather than MarineTex.

Mojo^ said:
Devcon is very good stuff and is widely used in the aerospace industry to make repairs on commercial and military aircraft. Had it come in a smaller more affordable size, I would have used it on my boat rather than MarineTex.

55.00$ for a 1lb tub, if you think about it, its well spent to repair something and have peace of mind knowing it will not repeat....

Wow, never heard about this stuff and sounds very promising.

Gets me thinking about the supercharger intercooler I've been meaning to install, but that's an entirely different project not tin boat related. 8)

Latest posts