New member, "new boat", looking for some help.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
7111605051_3f7d253492_c.jpg

Howdy everyone I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Carl and I live in Northern California, I've been lurking on this board for a while and have been blown away with some of the projects I've seen.
I just recently got my hands on a 14ft flat bottom v hull with an Evinrude 18hp outboard. The motor ran alright at first but would occasionally cut out on me but would start back up and I'd be back on my way. This worked for about half a dozen outings until it wouldn't start and I had to paddle my way back. I haven't been able to start it since.
I was hoping you guys would could help me troubleshoot my problems and get me back on the water. I have no real mechanical experience but would like to believe I am a reasonably intelligent fellow that can follow directions well. (we'll find out I suppose...).
I'm not sure what year the outboard was made, I figured that would be a good place to start.

I took some pictures today. Thanks for looking.

6965514904_70a48e46ff_c.jpg

6965517234_034d5e02ef_c.jpg

7111598295_b3ba6ecfdb_c.jpg

6965523312_7574f236fb_c.jpg

6965520278_7e57e58d31_c.jpg

6965518544_a8dd0c2f85_c.jpg

Third and fourth pic of your setup has a black tag where the motor attaches on the transom. Should have model and serial number stamped on it. Get those and report back. They will shed light on year model.

start with the gas, is it fresh? is your motor getting gas? remove your gas line from the carb and squeeze your ball on the line from your tank to the motor and check if gas is getting in, then check from the carb to your fuel pump. if they are ok try squeezing the ball while trying to start it, if it starts and dies when you stop squeezing then its the pump thats bad. oh and check your spark also..

you can get one on marine engines.com and they have all the parts diagrams you can see for free and that will help.

those old johnsons/rudes are great motors and easy to work on for even for a rum dum like me.........

shawnfish said:
start with the gas, is it fresh? is your motor getting gas? remove your gas line from the carb and squeeze your ball on the line from your tank to the motor and check if gas is getting in, then check from the carb to your fuel pump. if they are ok try squeezing the ball while trying to start it, if it starts and dies when you stop squeezing then its the pump thats bad. oh and check your spark also..

Ok thanks. I got fresh plugs the other day.
Today I was planning on giving the tank a thorough cleaning and putting in some fresh mix. (50:1 I think for this motor?).
Gas is getting to the motor, checked that the other day. I Noticed it was leaking from the hose but fixed that. Now the bulb stays pressured a lot easier. Go figure.
We'll see what the cleaning/fresh mix does today.

I am a little surprised that it is a 1970. It is of the same style as my 1963 10HP sporttwin.

I bought mine in the early 80's and had been sitting a while. Diaphrams in the fuel pump and carb had dry rotted and quickly disintegrated after some test runs. If you still have fuel issues, might be a good next point to look.

theres a few guys on here that can rebuild/repair them in their sleep, they will be chiming in sometime im sure......

that site i told you about has a motor repair forum that is really good also....

OK well. Cleaned the tank today and put new mix in, made sure that gas was getting to the carb. Everything seemed to be ok.

Yanked on the starter until I couldn't yank anymore and nothing. At the end I was getting some loud pops and it started to smell like two stroke but nothing more then that.

FuzzyGrub said:
I am a little surprised that it is a 1970. It is of the same style as my 1963 10HP sporttwin.

I was thinking the same thing. Leg and lower cowl looks ALOT like my `58 Sportwin, but nothing like my '61 or `76 Evinrudes... Upper cowl looks ALOT like my `61 6hp...

siskiyoublues said:
That's strange. I have no idea about the history of this motor. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of bits and pieces. :?

No, looks to be consistant to vintage. I checked the 1970 parts diagram, and it appears to have the same style. I was just surprised that the model hadn't changed much by 1970.

OK good! I guess they figured if it aint broke!

I managed to severe the connection between the starter rope and the flywheel. Not sure how but I have to get that reattached. Not sure how to do that either. Can anyone help?

Latest posts