Is there something I haven't considered?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goosegas

Reaction score
All I want is a small boat for lake fishing with my son here in Florida.

No matter how many ways I try to figure it, there is always one obstacle that prevents me from getting this done.

Money, for once in my life is not the obstacle, although I am in no way wealthy. The two main obstacles are my ability to tow, and the fact that I can't fit even a 16 ft. boat in my garage without a swing tongue trailer.

I absolutely do not want a new boat, (lack of boating experience and health) and even those don't come with a swing tongue until the package price exceeds $12k.

The other obstacle is that we have two cars, both leased, neither of which is recommended for towing. Even if possible I know that installing a tow bar would void the warranty and probably make the dealer void my lease, due to the holes made in the frame for this modification. Turning in one of vehicles for one capable of towing won't be possible for 3 more years. Buying a 3rd vehicle is not an option right now, and even if I could, it doesn't solve the space in the garage problem.

I decided to see if there might be some lightweight jon boats that I might be able to carry on top of the car. I haven't been able to find any concrete info, but I have been told that the car roof weight capacity is right around 100 pounds.

I found one 12 foot flat bottom jon boat that weighs about 90 pounds. If I was able to carry this on the car, I would also be able to store it in the garage. Unfortunately when you add the weight of the two people and even a tiny outboard, the weight capacity is greatly exceeded. Add some gear and a trolling motor and we will sink.

If we go a little heavier, such as a 14 foot jon I saw at 145 pounds, I am concerned about damaging the car.
I have also read that if I go this small 12-15ft, with a flat bottom, and be even close to the weight capacity, I had better be in a smooth as glass lake. The only lake around here that actually still has water in it and is not on private land, is large, often choppy and with many speed boats zipping around.

Having said all this, I am looking to see if there is an option I have not considered.
The way I see it, and I hate this idea as I am very ill and might not have 3 more years, would be to get a pickup or SUV with tow package, when my current leases expire, get a v hull 16ft boat capable of the weight and lake environment, and get the boat with a swing tongue trailer so it can fit in the garage, which is required by deed restrictions.

Please tell me I have overlooked something. I would very much appreciate your feedback and expertise regarding this matter.

Thank You

One option s to find a lake with a marina or a dock that you could rent a slip at. Get a boat doesn't need any work and have her delivered. Problem solved. Might be only option.

Call the Lessor and tell him your dilemma. Might just be that he could waive the "no tow" clause in your specific circumstances. Worth a shot.

Baring that, might consider a square stern canoe, which would roof-topable (that CAN'T be a word), and you could put a trolling motor or small outboard in the trunk.

Good luck.

The idea of a square stern canoe is interesting and I never would have thought of it.

I did some research and I am glad to see that they can use either a trolling motor or a small outboard. At 80-125 pounds, I think a roof rake might be able to handle it.

I am concerned about the fact that as good as they seem, they are still canoes and I would imagine that on a choppy lake with speedboats, we could too easily flip. This is Florida and we do have alligator issues as well.

Let me know what you think about square stern canoe stability.

Thanks again

Go inflatable.

Some are really nice rides, can use an outboard engine, stores easily.

The ones with the multi piece hard floors are very stable in big water.

Other than that you can rent a truck or SUV for a day each week to tow a boat. It's cheaper than buying a 3rd ride.

You could always just rent a boat at a marina for the day when you want to fish. We've done it many times when traveling and did not want to tow a boat. It's quiet reasonable actually.

Now, when one of those fleases is up, buy a truck.

Find a friend with a vehicle that can tow and borrow it once in a while

You can also rent a storage space for a boat! Look in your local classified ads

Handling even a 100lb boat on a roof rack with mainly you, plus kid, will lead to dents and scratches in the leased vehicle. There are some lifts and guides, but sheet still happens.

A small narrow jon boat is probabply not more stable than a canoe designed for lakes.

No matter what, don't let a lease car/garage issue stop you from taking the kid fishing. Good options already mentioned.

Your choice, but some of the square stern canoes are build for stability as a paramount factor. Look around.
I had a ?Stowe? fiberglass 15 foot, that was really just a narrow fishing boat. Came with oar locks, nice keel for tracking, and...trying to remember here...maybe 36in? across at gunnels. Sticks in my mind, because you really couldn't paddle it in the middle of the boat. Great watercraft, but I got hit by a truck and needed to sell stuff, so didn't use it much. I do remember putting a small motor on it and JETTING across the local lake. Just rocketed. Also seem to recall that you needed a learning curve on making turns; it would almost do a 180, because the front of the boat was high, with just me and the motor in the back.

The father of an old friend had a...?Snipe?...aluminum, wide, square stern, canoe. Only saw it on a trailer, so can't speak to the weight.

Best wishes.

Most Marina's have a Storage Lot. Buy your boat/trailer - have it delivered to the Marina as one of our posters wrote - then pay them to launch it for you. Can't be more than 10 bucks or so, each time. Even if your out boating 2 or 3 times a week it's still a bargoon when you consider what you will go thru loading and unloading + you'll most likely req. the dreaded Insurance......with that boat on the roof of your vehicle.
My friends boat is parked in St. Augustine FL and he pays a pittance for monthly space on land.
Racking your car is not a very good idea imho (in my humble opinion). Too much can go wrong.

Best of luck and keep us informed,

bobby

And on top of things, having that canoe or jon boat or what ever upside down on the roof, would be like a sail, and do a number on gas mileage and if not strapped down correctly, could go for a little ride as an air boat for a couple seconds.

Putting anything ontop of a leased car is going to get expensive come turn in time

I'd recomend an inflatable dingy like you see on yaughts. We used one for years.

Or rent a spot on the lake to keep your rig. Dry dock isn't that expensive and a lot of them will have your boat in the water ready on a days notice so its no hassle for the boat owner

Hope you figure something out and your health getr better buddy

There are kits available to turn any trailer into one with a swing-a-way tongue. Check Bass Pro or any other retailer for that matter, they should have them.

Try going to dealer that has your lease and try to deal on turning one in towards purchase of vehicle that will suit your needs at this time; might work for you because they need to sell one worse than you need to buy one. Good Luck! :D 8)

Not sure how often you plan on going, but have you considered renting a boat? 16ft aluminum boats with an outboard go for about $50 a day + gas used. Might be good if you're thinking once or twice a month.

Put a tow hitch on your lease and get small 12-14 foot jon with a breakaway tongue. When the lease is up, remove the tow hitch.

Most tow hitches are bolt on, no modification needed. What kind of vehicles do you have?

Jim said:
Put a tow hitch on your lease and get small 12-14 foot jon with a breakaway tongue. When the lease is up, remove the tow hitch.

Most tow hitches are bolt on, no modification needed. What kind of vehicles do you have?

I have two 2012 Toyota Camry 4 cyl.

Loggerhead Mike said:
Putting anything ontop of a leased car is going to get expensive come turn in time

I'd recomend an inflatable dingy like you see on yaughts. We used one for years.

Or rent a spot on the lake to keep your rig. Dry dock isn't that expensive and a lot of them will have your boat in the water ready on a days notice so its no hassle for the boat owner

Hope you figure something out and your health getr better buddy

Thank you for your suggestions and the good health wishes.

Brine said:
Not sure how often you plan on going, but have you considered renting a boat? 16ft aluminum boats with an outboard go for about $50 a day + gas used. Might be good if you're thinking once or twice a month.

I wish the rates you quoted were the same here. The only local lake which has boat rentals charges $125.00 for a half day. Gas is included but nothing else. A guide isn't much better wanting $400.00 for a 1/2 day trip. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've got a buddy that carry's a portable boat on the side of his camper. He runs a has a small 9.8hp on the back, uses it down at lake shelbyville here in Illinois. It's a nice size lake. Both his wife and him handle the choppy waters with no problem when the wind picks up. If I run across a used one I think I pick it up for some of the smaller fishing holes around here. https://www.porta-bote.com/index.php He unloads by the dock and by the time his wife parks the camper he's ready to launch the boat.

Latest posts