Strap it down!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend the other day, whom I hadn't seen in a while, and he told me how it sunk his boat. While retrieving it the current flipped the boat. I asked if he lost anything and he said all he lost was his net and a box of jigs. It got me to thinking about what I would loose if my boat flipped. I would loose A LOT. It is a small boat, no compartments. I am fairly confident that most of the heavy stuff wouldn't leave the boat in normal circumstances, but I know it would come out if overturned.

So maybe this post is obvious, but in case you haven't thought of it, it is probably a good idea to make sure all of your gear will stay where it is supposed to.

muskiemike12 said:
I don't quite grasp the idea of a boat flipping by it self from the current. I'm assuming the was a line tied to the bow.
I don't exactly know, I wasn't there. From what I understand he was in a river, hit a snag which put a 20" gash near the stern. It finally sunk in a few feet of water, which was adjacent to the current. Someone in another boat pulled it to a nearby ramp, and apparently when it got into some current (possibly the driver of the other boat swing out into the current to get around the point upstream from the ramp?) Anyway... it flipped. How is not really the point, but that it did.

I river drift through some areas that are shallow and swift. If the boat catches the wrong way, it could roll. It hasn't happened yet, and closest call was probably 10 years ago. Today, I don't want to even guesstimate how much $ could be lost. Put it this way, I'll be dreaging the river for some time!

PS: Impractical for me to strap everything down.

You don't really need floatation foam until you really need floatation foam. This is the point i've been trying to make with all the floatation foam haters.

I'm glad no one was hurt or worse.

This is a good example of a bad example.

jigngrub said:
I'm glad no one was hurt or worse.

This is a good example of a bad example.
+1. Thankfully he was only two steps from the bank once it finally sunk.

Latest posts