Transom Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMaestro

Reaction score
Just acquired my first boat, a 14' Sylvan and tilt trailer that Im going to mod based on the wonderful mods Im seeing here! Before I begin my mod, I had a question about the transom. The actual transom is in very good condition, but on the outside of the boat the previous owner had put a 1/4 piece of plywood to prevent the motor from damaging the back of the boat. Id like to replace that piece, and was thinking of diamond plate aluminum cut to the same size. The piece itself is through-bolted on the transom, so its easy to remove. Should I try the diamond plate or stick with another piece of wood? I like the diamond plate idea because it would be visually pleasing, but I worry that the motor might slip on it, whereas the 1/4" plywood allowed for some 'bite'.... Thoughts?

Well, it kinda depends on the size of your motor. I have an 18hp on mine and I went with the wood as there was nothing on it before besides the bare aluminum and I could see where the motor had slipped, with a smaller motor I wouldn't see much of a problem because of less power to make it slip...

thats true, but on these little boats, if u dont permanently mount the motor, u can take it off and putt around in the ponds around you, if there are any... i do it all the time :)

If you tighten it enough I doubt the 9.9hp will have enough power to twist it off...

Latest posts