Metal or Fiberglass?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnlaqua

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

got to this site by googling if it was possible to build your own platform/livewell/rod storage in a boat...and im sure youre not surprised i found it all here lol

dont own a boat yet, however im fond of jon boats (like the shallow water capability, and flat bottom stability) but doing some searching religiously on craigslist there a few awesome deals on both types (project boats of course) and also found out that when it comes to boats, no matter what condition the hulls in, people think they have gold lol

i dont really know anything about fiberglass repair just wondering in your opinions should i hold out for an aluminum boat or if a good enough deal comes up grab the fiberglass?

Fiberglass boats have there place, but a solid tin boat will last decades with minimal upkeep. There are literally hundreds of thousands of tin boats that are all 50+ years old and don't even leak. Fiberglass didn't really come around until the 60's, and most of those that are still around have either been babied through there lifetime; been extensively repaired... the rest are sitting on craigslist for $200--and they are at that price for a reason.

If you are looking to do a simple restoration, buying a budget tin will--in almost every situation--be easier to get in usable condition for an amateur restorer. If you have your heart set on a budget fiberglass, be prepared--you may have some extensive repairs to make that take a lot of time, and a lot of money.

yeah ive been finding that out lately, been on google for awhile now ;) think ill stick with tin, really want a jon boat but theyre hard to find.... besides, theres no site like this on the net for fiberglass anyways lol

It takes patience to find a nice tin boat either ready to go or a project. I found mine on craigslist back in Feb. There are some nice boats out there and there also some junk so just be patient and keep looking the right tin will turn up. When I was looking I expanded my looking to cities near me. At times there are tins for sale here too. Maybe even put a WTB (Want to Buy) stating what you are looking for size equipment etc.

Good Luck

They both have there pros and cons. I got a good deal on my tinboat and trailer which is why I bought it. I wanted a fiberglass hull to layout how I wanted.I have a 1975 correct craft t-16 for free from my uncle he let it sit amd the transom split amd floor WAs waterlogged. I had my dads buddy glass in a new transom and 4' section of the rear floor,for labor amd supplies im in the boat for $600 and have numerous offers for over double that. The key is to be patient and dont hop on the first thing unless you really want it

i couldn't decide, so i just bought whatever i felt like was a good deal when i saw it on craigslist. ended up with an aluminum 12' semi v, an aluminum 14' semi-v, an aluminum 14' jon, a fiberglass 10' jon and a fiberglass 16' runabout. sold the 12' v, and the fiberglass boats each for over 200% of what i paid for them. kept the 14' semi-v for lakes where i can trailer in and the 14' jon for places without a ramp. buy low sell high.

acabtp said:
i couldn't decide, so i just bought whatever i felt like was a good deal when i saw it on craigslist. ended up with an aluminum 12' semi v, an aluminum 14' semi-v, an aluminum 14' jon, a fiberglass 10' jon and a fiberglass 16' runabout. sold the 12' v, and the fiberglass boats each for over 200% of what i paid for them. kept the 14' semi-v for lakes where i can trailer in and the 14' jon for places without a ramp. buy low sell high.

I agree, its always best to buy your boat in early winter and sell in late spring... best way to stack the odds of supply and demand in your favor!

I wouldn't want a fiberglass boat in shallow water.

Tin boat is the only way to go. :mrgreen:

Not sure where you live, however in my neck of the woods there are tons of "jon" style boats. Tons of goose, duck hunters around me, and jons are the boat of choice. Always great deals, especially in this economy.

I'm in the land of 10,000 lakes ;) minnesota, maybe buyin first tin tmrw.....14 ft, console steering, trailor, 40 horse merc..... $500 don't think I can pass on it, only thing wrong stated in ad is motor idles a little rough and throttle linkage needs adjustment

I have both a tin and a fiberglass boat. My fiberglass boat is an 18ft Welcraft openbow.. Its more of a pleasure boat. But I have fished it... I'm planing to change the front of it to put a platform and foot control trolling motor so I can bass fish out of it. Can't go to shallow with it though as its heavy...but it is smooth in rough water. But a deep V tin would be a better fishing boat. My tin is a 60's SeaNymph 14... Its light and moves pretty good. Its small and tippier than I am used to but not too bad. I've looked at the Grizzly 1860's and bigger and other brands...they would seem perfect for me and the fishing I do. But they are expensive...even the few that end up on craigslist.

You'll like a tin I think. It will last a long time.

johnlaqua said:
I'm in the land of 10,000 lakes ;) minnesota, maybe buyin first tin tmrw.....14 ft, console steering, trailor, 40 horse merc..... $500 don't think I can pass on it, only thing wrong stated in ad is motor idles a little rough and throttle linkage needs adjustment

Nice post up some pics if you get it

I have an old Starcraft 14' tin and Ive had it for 20 years with min repairs. Never had a leaky rivet EVER! My cousin has 4 yes 4 glass boats and the hulls look like somebody was playing with playdoh! He puts in more time doing bodywork than actual fishing! Stick with aluminum! Maybe go for one of those flat bottom boat with a v-hull in the front (mod-v I think is what they call them)?

Heck Minnihota is right smack dap in the middle of tin boat country. You shouldnt have any trouble finding a decent deal. Post up pics where you get her home.

Latest posts