PO Fiberglassed the bottom of my Jon boat!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalvinc

Reaction score
Okay so recently I acquired a 14' flatbottom. Now I know I should have probably looked at the bottom before purchasing it but regardless what's done is done. I am going to be completely redoing this entire boat from the ground up. Any new rivet will get drilled and replaced, and sealed accordingly. My main concern is this fiberglass. They coated the entire bottom, and about 6" up the sides. It has cracked in a few places, and when performing a leak test, it did in fact leak from those cracks. How should I go about removing the fiberglass? Please respond quickly as I plan on working on this project all day tomorrow and the next day!

you may be able to "tap" it from the inside with a hammer and chisel it off from the underside with a spackle knife... If it is well bonded... Good luck :?

HA! The things some numbskulls will do to stop a tinny from leaking :roll: I guess they didn't know that 7 coats of latex house paint is the only way to stop an aluminum boat from leaking :twisted:

I suggest using CitrusStrip on it, you'll need to put your boat in a shady spot and brush the stripper on and let it set for 18-24 hrs. This should soften up the crapola enough that you can scrape it off.

Oh believe me there will be pictures....I'm gonna go prepared today with a grinder, wire wheel, sander, hammer and chisel. One way or another...this stuff is coming off!

Kalvinc said:
Oh believe me there will be pictures....I'm gonna go prepared today with a grinder, wire wheel, sander, hammer and chisel. One way or another...this stuff is coming off!

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Good Luck.

Latest posts