chine repair scares me

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl60446

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was on a few days ago talking about 3m 5200 which I was using to seal an area where some chine came off my boat. But now I think I figured out why my boat has that piece of chine missing, it is because the supports for it on the trailer put a lot of pressure right next to where the chine was riveted to the hull. So that piece of chine just popped off. So I think I need to modify the boards that support the boat (carpet covered 2x4's) to relieve that pressure and I think I should re-rivet the chine. Maybe 2 rivets each side of where the chine piece popped off. All I have is 3/16 inch rivets aluminum, you think that will work? I included a drawing so you can see what I am talking about. I have real reservations though about drilling holes in the boat bottom for rivets. Green rivet is the old one where the chine popped off, red ones will be the new rivets if I get brave enough. I am not even sure it was leaking here and it may very well not leak there now since I got it covered in 5200.
Tim

Attachments

• chine.jpg
    chine.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 447

Latest posts