Considering selling my boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
I am considering selling my 1980 Valco, with trailer and either a 7.5 motor or a 25 hp motor. Both work well.
I would like some input on what you think should be my asking price.
The pics are below.
The canopy top is a Sunbrella, I extended the frame so that the height from floor to top is just over 6 foot.
I had the inside of the hull sprayed with bedliner.
Only reason for selling is that I like to ocean fish, so I could use a boat thats better suited for it.
Please take a look and let me know what you think I could ask for this.
Thanks

562578_347472405308250_100001364811855_939071_1569622002_n.jpg

538374_347472485308242_100001364811855_939073_784759426_n.jpg

524032_347472468641577_100001364811855_939072_152881998_n.jpg

535332_347472275308263_100001364811855_939068_544451180_n.jpg

548391_347472315308259_100001364811855_939069_1284264559_n.jpg

523339_347472385308252_100001364811855_939070_1224622861_n.jpg

Well judging by the angle of the sun, wind velocity, and shadows cast by your boat I would say it is a 14 footer......correct? Actually I know it is a 14' from the other post you had on 25hp motor.....lol

Ok location and supply and demand have a lot to do with value of boats. I see palm trees in the backround so I know you don't live any where near me. That being said, the boat (which looks really nice to me) with the 25hp merc on it and the bimini top would probably fetch between $1600-$2000 around here, maybe a little more? With the 7.5 on it you would be looking closer to the $1300-1500 mark. With the 25hp merc on it I would not take less than $1500 and that would be if I was needing the money.

Couldn't hurt to start at $2500-2800 though and see if you get any bites. You can always drop the price but it is hard to go up.......

IMO, I would start at a higher price too as mentioned previously. Look through Craig's List and you can get an idea of prices being asked. I see most tins selling for around $1500 on the average. Boating is like cars, you'll probably never make your money and time back when it comes to selling.

BTW, what kind of boat are you looking for? I know IF I were to go out beyond the breakwater frequently, the type of boat I would want would probably cost around five figures, not including the cents, but that's just me. I'm waiting for my GF's brother to retire. He has an Arima that can take the abuse of the open ocean. He actually takes that thing trout fishing! It looks like a battleship out in the lakes.

Good luck.

I have been searching craigslist...the prices vary based on type of motor, amenities, etc.
There are alot of variances which is why I posted this.
I've seen hulls and trailers with no motor for 1200, bare hulls for 500, others that dont look so good on the inside but have a 4 stroke motor, etc.

Based on what I have seen on craigslist in the So. Cal. area, and based on the condition of the interior, the 6 foot tall canopy, the trailer and a clean 7.5 motor with new gas tank, I don't think it would be ridiculous to ask 2K obo.
I realize that we dont always get our money back out of it, but I see two improvements to this boat that make a difference to me, anyways...1) the spray in bedliner which cost over 400.00, and 2) the canopy which cost 300.00, then another 180.00 to lengthen the frame. (not to mention that the canopy is a Sunbrella ).

I think I would sell the 25 HP seperately.

As far as what I would buy to replace it...I would probably stay on the smaller side, maybe a 16 foot fiberglass...I've been doing alot of searching. I'd like a bigger boat but storage is an issue.

ummmm did you just say fiberglass [-X lol........ $2000 with the 7.5 is not out of the question. Your boat is in nice shape and the spray in bedliner is a definite selling attribute that will appeal to many buyers. The top sunbrella thingy wouldn't get much attention around here because when the sun does come out up here we want to be in it. But down there it probably gets old baking in the sun.

They make some really nice 16' Deep V tins that can handle pretty rough conditions ya know. I myself have been looking at 18' to 21' deep V tins so I can get out on the big lakes around here and feel safe with my family in it. A 14' starts to get scary in 3' waves. I took a wave over the bow last year on one of the big lakes with my 5 year old in the boat, **** 30' yachts don't realize the wake they throw when plowing water!

Johny25 said:
ummmm did you just say fiberglass [-X lol........ $2000 with the 7.5 is not out of the question. Your boat is in nice shape and the spray in bedliner is a definite selling attribute that will appeal to many buyers. The top sunbrella thingy wouldn't get much attention around here because when the sun does come out up here we want to be in it. But down there it probably gets old baking in the sun.

They make some really nice 16' Deep V tins that can handle pretty rough conditions ya know. I myself have been looking at 18' to 21' deep V tins so I can get out on the big lakes around here and feel safe with my family in it. A 14' starts to get scary in 3' waves. I took a wave over the bow last year on one of the big lakes with my 5 year old in the boat, **** 30' yachts don't realize the wake they throw when plowing water!

Thank you for the vote of confidence on the price.
I have seen a few larger aluminums for sale...
what are the benefits of aluminum over fiberglass in your opinion?
Thanks

Here's a nice one:

https://images.craigslist.org/5Nd5G35M53E83N93l0c4ra1ccaf585163131f.jpg

Reduced to $3400 obo to sell today!!
18ft aluminum Fisher Center Console
40hp Johnson Outboard
Aluminum trailer w/ new lights and bearing buddies
17 gallon bait tank w/ new pump
Lowrance Fishfinder
VHF radio
Dual batteries and dual bilge pumps
Forward flood light
Plenty of storage space and lots of rod holders
Comes with all coast guard safety gear
Boat is ready to hit the water right now, I do still take it out regularly so everything is ready for season.

Well the only thing fiberglass has over an aluminum boat is how quiet they are. But an aluminum boat framed in correctly and built right will negate that advantage. Beyond that aluminum is better than fiberglass on every level, durability, lightweight, easier to repair if need be, easier to modify to meet your specific needs, holds value better.......etc. The list can go on and on.

Metal boats, whether aluminum or steel are far superior to fiberglass boats. That is why tugs, tankers, commercial liners, coast guard rescue boats, commercial fishing boats and every other work oriented boat/ship/vessel is made out of aluminum or steel. And that is because they stand up to punishment way better than fiberglass and hold there value also. That is my 2 cents

I am a former tugboat captain also...... :)

Johny25 said:
Well the only thing fiberglass has over an aluminum boat is how quiet they are. But an aluminum boat framed in correctly and built right will negate that advantage. Beyond that aluminum is better than fiberglass on every level, durability, lightweight, easier to repair if need be, easier to modify to meet your specific needs, holds value better.......etc. The list can go on and on.

Metal boats, whether aluminum or steel are far superior to fiberglass boats. That is why tugs, tankers, commercial liners, coast guard rescue boats, commercial fishing boats and every other work oriented boat/ship/vessel is made out of aluminum or steel. And that is because they stand up to punishment way better than fiberglass and hold there value also. That is my 2 cents

I am a former tugboat captain also...... :)

You make some excellent points that I never realized...thanks for that.

JasonLester said:
This makes me :cry: :( sad... knowing where the boat is from...but I understand.

Its a sweet boat for sure.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you Jason...that is exactly why I have been struggling over this decision.
Notice I said "considering" :)
But in all honesty I would love to have something like the one I posted above...maybe Pop would understand.

That is a nice tin, but is the inside going to fit your family nicely?

This is the style of aluminum boat I have been looking at. This is a early 90's Bluefin Spectrum 19' fish and ski. Haven't yet found one in my price range though. I missed one last week that was listed at $2500 and just needed a new lower unit on the outboard. Most of them don't have the inboard like this picture. I would rather have an outboard.
images-1.jpg

Storage space is also an issue with me. Both of my boats have a beam of around five feet and they just barely fit into a space on the side of the garage at my GF's house. We even built a fence to block the view from the street.

My GF's brother's Arima has a very wide beam for a 17' boat which is why it is very stable in the ocean. He once had a 13' Whaler which he took to Catalina Island, but then he was young and stupid then!

Browsing through CL last night, there was another center console tin for sale which look good for open water fishing in Los Angeles.

Johny25 said:
That is a nice tin, but is the inside going to fit your family nicely?

This is the style of aluminum boat I have been looking at. This is a early 90's Bluefin Spectrum 19' fish and ski. Haven't yet found one in my price range though. I missed one last week that was listed at $2500 and just needed a new lower unit on the outboard. Most of them don't have the inboard like this picture. I would rather have an outboard.

I agree with you on the boat posted above, but that is my image of aluminum boats...
I thought that I wanted a center console until I spent a day on one...no wind protection while flying on the water, very limited seating.
To be honest I have been looking at boats much like the one you posted, not realizing that they can also be aluminum.
I also want an outboard...to me they should have less maintianence issues as well as being transferable.

nomowork said:
Storage space is also an issue with me. Both of my boats have a beam of around five feet and they just barely fit into a space on the side of the garage at my GF's house. We even built a fence to block the view from the street.

My GF's brother's Arima has a very wide beam for a 17' boat which is why it is very stable in the ocean. He once had a 13' Whaler which he took to Catalina Island, but then he was young and stupid then!

Browsing through CL last night, there was another center console tin for sale which look good for open water fishing in Los Angeles.

I have spent untold hours on CL...trying to figure out what the heck I want...
I've already gotten a warning for parking my boat in the driveway...it wont fit on the side.
But I'm not concerned until they give me a ticket...havent seen anyone from the city for about 2 months.
I am tempted to get a larger boat that would not work in my driveway, but then I'd have to deal with storage, which I am certain will end up causing regret.
So if I do get something else I am thinking that I could get away with possibly a 16 foot, maybe 17.

The 16-17' range gives you a lot more options of boat makers in the aluminum department. I am trying to get a 19-21' which limits my options. I have 3 children, wife, and a grandaughter to fit in my boat..... and my 14' is not going to handle that.

I wish I could keep this one and find something else...that would solve this once and for all.

Latest posts