Launching a boat by yourself tip

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlmood77

Reaction score
I often go fishing with my two partners, but since they have four legs each and no arms, they can't help to much with launching. One of the lakes I fish often has a very shallow ramp, so much so my front tires are in the water before the boat will float. Therefore I have had to come up with a way to lanch the boat from inside the truck, and here it is:

I have a rope a little longer than the boat (it helps if it is a loating rope) that I tie to the front of the boat. Then I take the rope under the boat, in between the bunks to the back of the trailer where I tie the other end. Then, I back the boat in until she floats off from the trailer. This is where the "floating" rope will help as it shouldn't get tangled in the bunks. After she has floated off a little, I slowly pull up until the rope is taught then pull her to shore. This is one of the beauties of a "tin" boat, being that alot of them you could pull up onto the concrete. Of course I wouldn't do this with a new G3, but my boat is far from that. :roll:

Tight Lines All

That is what we do if we're by ourself. Good tip. Just don't do like my buddy and forget to tie the rope. Water was cold and it was morning and I went in after it because I had a change of clothes as usual. It floated out a good ways to.

or you can be a reckless moron like myself
leave a 10-15' lead on some rope, keep alittle speed and slam on the brakes when it hits the water :shock:

Being a new boat owner I have missed a few good days of fishin because my partner couldnt make it. The next time I go with a friend I am going to do it myself knowing that I have backup if needed. It has been windy here and I am a liitle worried that I could get swamped.

Changed it up a little yesterday. Instead of running it under the boat, I tied to the front of the trailer and then to the boat, and laid the rope out on the front deck. Many variations as you can see from above, but they all get the job done. As stated before tying the knots is the most CRUCIAL point lol. The bowline is a great all around knot that all should know. Easy to tie and easy to untie check it out here https://www.animatedknots.com/bowli...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com