jon boat driving lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berger

Reaction score
i was wanting to hook my boat up with lights in the front so i can see at night. this would kinda be like headlights but not really just wondering what any of you guys have used if so let me know. i had an idea of the older square fog lights not sure how bright it would be

I've seen just about everything used.

They don't work exactly like you would think, especially on light tin boats. The light follows the ever changing attitude of the bow. It's like trying to drive your truck with a flashlight that someone else is holding and constantly moving. The water really absorbs the light as well making the beam not carry very far.

sounds about right but if you could get light in a big enough area it would help avoid stumps wouldnt it

I installed a set of Aqua Signal docking lights on the prow of my Dura Craft jetboat. They came with 55 watt halogens, and that really ate up battery power, so I switched to a set of MR-16 high intensity LED's that give the equivalent of 55 watt halogens, with a fraction of the amp draw.

Anyhow, for an informative thread on how it's done, with lots of photos, here ya go:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23748

berger said:
sounds about right but if you could get light in a big enough area it would help avoid stumps wouldnt it

Depends. There's a huge difference in point of aim depending on the attitude of the boat (planed, semi planed, idle speed, etc.)

It should also be noted that under COLREGS laws, it is unlawful to run any other lights, other than the nav lights, while underway.

Doesn't mean that people don't do it, I often run mine in shallow back creeks, but when I'm in a main thorofare, such as a marked channel, or a main body of water, I only run my nav lights.

Check your state regs., it's not legal here in Georgia. You'd be better off buying a Q-Beam or some other portable light. I carried one in my last boat and used it a grand total of ......... once, and even then only to help find the shore in a fog.

I keep 2 BIG LED flashlights (ones with big 6v batteries) and a handheld LED spotlight on the boat. The beams on all three all but disappear on the water. I only use them for spotting the reflective tape on my catfish jugs, even for that, they are marginal. For "driving" they are useless... Water just absorbs the light. Or reflects it up and away from you.

A lot of LE and military vessels use prow lights. If you look at some of the Coast Guard's boats, they also use prow lights......they typically use them during search and rescue.

The lights in the hull are merely docking lights and are very similar to those offered by Aqua Power. I'm sure the spot light mounted over the cockpit is more practical.

Latest posts