where can one find a narrow (18 ") aluminum side console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wistex

Reaction score
am putting together a alumacraft 1442 no center seat project. it will have a 1994 evinrude 15 hp long shaft, electric start, and remote controls. boat is narrow at 42" bottom so need a relatively narrow side console.

where to buy one?

wistex

www.akmccallum.com Go to accessories, jon boat specialty items, then and then to steering consoles and storage .They have a lot of different center and side consoles. Im not sure they have a side console that narrow but you might be able to find somehting that will work there. I used the low side console on my 1542 and it worked great https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299&hilit=swamp+sled.

Since you have a long shaft motor and are putting it on a 15" transom you are going to need a jack plate as well. The one on my boat is minijacker. It also worked great.

Good luck with your boat. I wish I could have found a 1442 NCS in my area for a decent price!

I second ak mccallum. From what I understand they have some items that aren't on website so if you don't see one that jumps out at you give them a call.

hello reedjj,

great thread about your 1542 jon modifications! my 1442 ncs has a 20 transom thus the search for 15 hp johnson with a long shaft. i weigh as much as two people (325) and was trying to keep the weight down on the hardware. i spend the winters in texas and summers in wisconsin. my tow vehicle is a ford focus 2 door hatchback and is limited to 1000# of trailer weight. so, weight is important to the health of the little 4 cyl car. i have towed my 1448 jon with center seat and a 9.9 johnson down and back this last winter. got 25 mpg towing with combined gross vehicle weight of 4400#. btw, the 2001 9.9 feels like a 20 hp the way it pushes the 1448 along.

re: the 15 hp, i thought it would be fast enough but reading your adventures with the 25 hp outboard made me re-evaluate the priorities and the fun factor seems to be winning. so now i have to determine the weight differential between a 15 hp long shaft and a 25 hp long shaft. i have heard that the long shaft 25 electric start weighs about 140 # vs the 15 hp LS electric start at 80#

in your report i think you said that the side console was fastened with screws to the plywood floor. how thick is the plywood floor? is this arrangement stable, i.e., does the side console stay put when the boat hits "bumps" in the water?

wistex

Ended up making my own, down side its steel not aluminum but still not all that heavy.

037yj.jpg

Check https://www.akmccallumco.com . Nice folks to deal with and they have a lot of stuff that are real problem solvers.