The Front Deck Surface & Mud

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clinton78

Reaction score
As I plan out my 1648 project, I'm thinking about how to surface the front deck which is and will be aluminum. Most of my boating experiences come from my dad's 2072 which has a carpeted front deck. We do a lot of Missouri River fishing....nosing in on mud banks and such. Naturally, the river silt and mud gets on the carpet and dries out. Then when we're at full throttle, heading upstream, it's like getting sandblasted.

Are there alternatives that would minimize the sandblast effect...or at least get it over with quicker!? The carpet seems to release it bits by bits over a long stretch.

What do you think? Stick with carpet over aluminum? Aluminum tread plate? Aluminum sheets with a nonskid paint? Something else entirely?

Bigger Windshield? :wink:

Clinton78 said:
Then when we're at full throttle, heading upstream, it's like getting sandblasted.

I know exactly what you are talking about, except upstream or downstream doesn't matter. ;)

I can tell you wood with painted floors won't improve a thing. ;)

Most of our problem comes from launching. We bring extra towel to try to clean it up, before it drys. Change shoes, etc.

I love the hydroturf in my boat. It's a little on the expensive side, but you will never look at carpet the same. I plan on finishing up my deck with it soon.

Latest posts