Starcraft boat research

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m casey stock

Reaction score
In my quest to find the manufacture of my 14 ft closed bow runabout, I have noticed that there are very few pictures of Starcrafts. I wonder why that is. I read that they have been in business since the late 1800's. I think the reason I can't find older pictures (earlier than the 50's) from most of the other runabout makers is that they were not around then. The ones that were don't look like mine. I think I have a pretty old boat, so I'll have to find a manufacture that has been around for some time. Does any one have pictures of old Starcrafts or any other manufacture that has been around before the 50's.

I'd like to say Thanks to all the guys that have responded to my other posts and thanks in advance for any future help any of you can give.

Casey

for those who haven't seen my boat yet, here are the pictures

Attachments

• 30-04-12_0613.jpg
    30-04-12_0613.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 30-04-12_0614.jpg
    30-04-12_0614.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 30-04-12_2121.jpg
    30-04-12_2121.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 389
  • media2(1).jpeg
    media2(1).jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 389
  • media2.jpeg
    media2.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 389
  • tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 389
Hi m casey. Check this site out. It has tons of pics, brochures and info on old boats. However, there were literally hundreds of small, regional boat builders back in the 50s and 60s, so don't be surprised if info is hard to find. All and all she looks to be in good shape. Tin boats are great b/c they're so easy to work on. There are only a few rules; 1.) Never use Pressure Treated lumber as it will cause galvanic pitting/corrosion on your hull. Instead, use non-PT exterior grade plywood and coat it in 2-part epoxy, f'glass & resin, or with several coats of Spar Urethane. 2.) attach any/all wood with Stainless Steel hardware and/or aluminum pop rivets (both preferably dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk/sealant for good measure). 3.) below deck flotation can/should be added in the form of either pool noodles, or pink/blue, closed-cell foam insulation board. 4.) You can build stringers, braces out of aluminum angle/stock. That's really about it. The rest is only limited by time, money and imagination. You can get everything you need at Lowes/HD, except the epoxy/f'glass supplies, but they should sell Spar Urethane and you can get epoxy from West Marine, if you have one near by.

https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Main_Page

Hi m casey. Check this site out. It has tons of pics, brochures and info on old boats. However, there were literally hundreds of small, regional boat builders back in the 50s and 60s, so don't be surprised if info is hard to find. All and all she looks to be in good shape. Tin boats are great b/c they're so easy to work on. There are only a few rules; 1.) Never use Pressure Treated lumber as it will cause galvanic pitting/corrosion on your hull. Instead, use non-PT exterior grade plywood and coat it in 2-part epoxy, f'glass & resin, or with several coats of Spar Urethane. 2.) attach any/all wood with Stainless Steel hardware and/or aluminum pop rivets (both preferably dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk/sealant for good measure). 3.) below deck flotation can/should be added in the form of either pool noodles, or pink/blue, closed-cell foam insulation board. 4.) You can build stringers, braces out of aluminum angle/stock. That's really about it. The rest is only limited by time, money and imagination. You can get everything you need at Lowes/HD, except the epoxy/f'glass supplies, but they should sell Spar Urethane and you can get epoxy from West Marine, if you have one near by.

https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Main_Page

MAN, i saw one JUST like that for sale earlier this week while looking for a v-hull for a friend. I have looked at so many different cities on craigslist that I dont remember where it was... :? I was outta his price range, so I didn't take special note of it. I dont remember if it had a manufacturer in the listing... I guess I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the night...

Nismoron said:
MAN, i saw one JUST like that for sale earlier this week while looking for a v-hull for a friend. I have looked at so many different cities on craigslist that I dont remember where it was... :? I was outta his price range, so I didn't take special note of it. I dont remember if it had a manufacturer in the listing... I guess I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the night...

Wow...that's how that works LOL, I'm guessing you still have not found it? Was it craigslist you saw it on? What area of the country where you looking?

kfa4303 said:
There are only a few rules; 1.) Never use Pressure Treated lumber as it will cause galvanic pitting/corrosion on your hull. Instead, use non-PT exterior grade plywood and coat it in 2-part epoxy, f'glass & resin, or with several coats of Spar Urethane. 2.) attach any/all wood with Stainless Steel hardware and/or aluminum pop rivets (both preferably dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk/sealant for good measure). 3.) below deck flotation can/should be added in the form of either pool noodles, or pink/blue, closed-cell foam insulation board. 4.) You can build stringers, braces out of aluminum angle/stock. That's really about it.

Thanks for all the helpful advise, I plan to start on it soon and it's nice to know there are plenty of folks on here I can turn to. I'll keep the updates coming and post new pictures as I make changes.

Latest posts